Chapter 11: Tough Kills

"I-I'm sorry?" Kashi stammered in disbelief. "Could you please repeat that?" The daeben's surprise was not without cause. Razznik was a name Suzuki had formed by combining the internet slang 'razz,' which urban dictionary defined as an obnoxious individual trying to fit in, and the 'nik' suffix. There was no way such a random name would pop up in a game made by Genaco by accident.

This was undoubtedly the Razznik from King's Journey. However, considering Suzuki was previously 'Razznik,' how could there be another in-game Razznik? Furthermore, Kashi was certain Suzuki deleted Razznik's character. Didn't he?

"What's wrong, boy?" Fladnag questioned with a suspicious gaze. "You look like you've seen a ghost."

"N-no, nothing's wrong," Kashi hastily retorted. 'Quick, think of something! You're dead if he finds out!'

An oppressive aura burst out of Fladnag and pressed down on the daeben. The wizard glared at the young man and carefully questioned, "You would not happen to have any relation to that fiend, would you? Because if you do..." A choking, killing intent encompassed the entire room.

"Surely you jest," Kashi rebutted with a plastered smile. "I have no relation with such a monster. I was simply shocked by his treachery." 'I'm sorry Razz. You've lived your life. I cannot die here.'

"Yes, shocking, is it not?" Fladnag's sharp gaze scrutinized the daeben's features. Kashi must have made a convincing liar as the wizard retracted his aura and killing intent. The wizard looked away from the daeben and said, "I do not trust anyone who seeks power for the sake of power. I would sooner trust someone bent on revenge, for even that desire can one day be satiated." Disappointment colored his eyes as he looked at Kashi. "I fear you are similar to Razznik. You seek power, but you will never be satisfied. Without purpose, you will drown the continent in a sea of blood." Fladnag sighed. "As it stands, I have witnessed more than enough pointless bloodshed. Leave. I shall not slay you, though I should."

"Wait!" Kashi pleaded. "Please give this one a chance to prove himself. I wish to atone for my country's sins." Inwardly, the daeben cursed at his bad luck. 'Why is everyone in this game so high-maintenance?'

Fladnag studied the daeben. The wizard could tell everything that came out Kashi's mouth was a blatant lie. 'Regardless of his reasons, he found me. He possesses strong willpower, if nothing else I can use him.' Fladnag made a show of stroking his beard and then challenged the daeben, "If what you say is true, then I will give you a chance. There is a single living creature in this forest beside the trees and us. Slay the beast."

Kashi's eyes gleamed with a peculiar light as he examined the prompts

Kashi's eyes gleamed with a peculiar light as he examined the prompts. 'A serial quest!'

Serial quests, like their name suggested, were quests that linked up to one another, usually forming a story of some sort. The rewards gained from serial quests increased with each additional quest. Of course, the same could be said for the difficulty.