At Death's Door

The hours I spent waiting in my room seemed like years. I had no information on what was happening and Elliot never left the room.

At some point, Elliot finally came to me and stitched me up, telling me I was lucky that my wound wasn't too bad, however, he couldn't say the same for Aron.

The dark void in my heart began to widen. The words I was hoping to hear never came out of Elliot's mouth.

He's ok... He'll be alright... It wasn't too bad...

I could only comfort myself with such lines but I knew all too well that it was just me lying to myself.

The next morning arrived and there was still no word about Aron's condition. I saw Elliot once but he told me he couldn't say how the situation was holding up yet.

He looked tired and weary, probably because of lack of sleep.

That day, I refused any and all company from Royce when he tried knocking at my door.

Before I knew it, a week passed just like that.

It was during the beginning of the second week that Elliot told me Aron's condition was getting better, though he was in a coma. Elliot told me that I shouldn't worry too much since things were looking up. I told him I was glad to hear that, however, 2 more weeks passed and it was the same news.

I began to wonder if Aron would ever wake up or if he would stay in a coma until death came for him.

Royce continually came to my door and tried talking to me, but I refused to see him. I didn't want to hear his apologies, his explanation, his worries... I didn't want to give him the chance to make up with me nor give him my forgiveness, because if I did, surely I would once again give him my love.

I was tired of it. Tired of loving him, tired of betraying Aron's feelings, tired of suffering.

Aron was my support. He was loyal and honest, and willing to do anything to make me happy. And now, because of Royce, he might disappear from my life. He might become nothing more than a memory.

The last time I saw Aron he was a bloody mess and that was around a month ago.

And though I showered many times, I could still remember the scent of his blood. I could still feel the warm liquid that seeped through my shirt. I could still see the dying animal in my arms. The images wouldn't leave my mind and I couldn't sleep without reliving that moment.

The wait was killing me. Everyday that passed made me that much closer to giving up on him. Everyday I told myself that this was it, this was the day that Aron would wake up... but just like how everyday started the same, it ended the same as well. It was clear to me that Aron's condition wasn't improving.

I began praying, the me who had no god began looking for a greater being to save Aron. I was desperate and I was losing my mind all over again.

However, despite my outbursts and mental breakdowns, my prayers were heard.

Aron was beginning to improve once more, and at a much faster rate.

Another week passed and Aron finally awoke. I cried at the news when Elliot told me. A feeling of relief and joy flooded through me and I couldn't wait to see Aron.