Untitled Third Book: Chapter 8

The weekend left just as quickly as it came. Which wasn't really a problem, considering it sucked so much.

Artemis took a sip of her bitter coffee, but it didn't make her feel anymore alert. She yawned, turning to her partner in crime. "Is there a reason why we're at the library three hours before school?"

"Lose even an hour in the morning and you'll spend all day looking for it," Olive assured her, typing on her laptop. In all honesty, the quietness of the hall was actually quite soothing. And Sister Francesca, who was apparently also a librarian, actually smiled at them.

"I'm not looking for anything," Artemis replied almost defensively. The only thing she was really looking for was her dignity. After all, she was sure that trying to get useful information from this nurse Caldwell person was the farthest of far stretches. Still, she saw no immediate harm in humoring her. Even if it would lead to her inevitable disappointment.

Olive just shrugged as she resumed her typing. "I interviewed Chara for the documentary, but she wasn't very helpful. Just repeated that Miren was her tutor a million times. I mean, she designed her tombstone for Queen's sake. You'd think she'd be more phased by me bringing up her death."

"Theodora designed it too and I don't see her in volunteering with the video," Artemis offered, rubbing her temple. "Maybe Chara's just tired." She was tired too.

"I don't know. Before I talked to her, I was confident she had nothing to hide." Olive pulled her notebook from her messenger bag. "But I can't say that for sure now."

"What do you think she's hiding?" Artemis said, her eyes slightly more alert. She knew what secrets she was hiding. And although some of them coincided with the sophomore's, it didn't seem possible for Chara to be anymore involved than she already was.

"Well, she told me that Penelope enslaved her due to her figuring out a secret or something." Olive scratched her head before scribbling something on the pad. "You think it has to do with Miren?"

"I wouldn't be surprised."

"Shit." Somehow Sister Francesca heard her and shushed obnoxiously. Olive rolled her eyes, crossing something out with her pen. "Why is it the further I pry, the more confusing everything gets?"

"Because this all revolves around Penelope, and she's as insane as she is baffling." Artemis rose to her feet. Not because this was getting nowhere fast, but because she could sense what Olive was going to ask next.

"Has she always been this way?" Earnest eyes feel on her. "Maybe we need to look into her past—Miren too." Fuck.

"We should also interview Jemma. She must know something," Olive continued, recalling that girl Jemma was looking at the party. She closed her eyes in a squint. It wasn't even seven and her journalistically inclined part of her brain had already been pushed to the limit.

But some things were straightforward. They would seek the nurse. Delve into Penelope's and Miren's past. Then finish the documentary. It was so simple.

In theory.

***

In theory, Levi had everything figured out. It was just a matter of piecing everything together. Which was difficult as fuck because NOTHING MADE SENSE ANYMORE/EVER.

As the glow of another Monday morning shined against his dorm window, he contemplated why he was so interested in this conspiracy. The only thing he knew for sure was that Soren wasn't directly responsible for the musical incident. But even then, he was still involved with people (Artemis and Penelope immediately came to mind) that could have done it. And even though he failed to see their motivations, maybe you didn't need a motivation when you were crazy.