Chapter 29: The Realization

"So, let me get this straight." Noor added a third sugar cube to her tea and began to stir. The small, silver spoon chimed every time it hit the side of the fine porcelain cup.

"Gabe is freaking alive, and the only reason we thought he was dead is because he asked Max to kill him so he'd be immortal. But then he got amnesia, and Max lied to you before shipping Gabe off to England to be looked after by his biggest enemy. Now that it's convenient for Max, he finally tells you the truth, but only so you'll help him take down the big, bad Wescott who apparently can cause mass catastrophes with just one word so he can make more money for the Order." She put the spoon on the table and took a big breath before continuing. "Meanwhile, you not only find out that your pregnancy's making you mortal, but that you're also having twins. Which means that's probably what ghost-Sylvana's prophecy was about and not Max and Gabe. So really, that crazy woman targeted you for nothing. Did I get all of that right?"

Across the black, lacquered dining room table, Reine didn't even look up, but continued to spread a dark, sticky substance over her toast. She took up a bite before responding. "Yup, pretty much. Want some?"

"Blech. No way." The young woman shook her head at the outstretched bread, her jet-black hair grazing her shoulders. "We'll get to how you can eat that disgusting yeast thing later, but first we need to finish this discussion because it's all kinds of soap opera drama in your world right now." Noor laughed before taking a drink, but turned serious when Reine's mood remained unchanged.

"What's going on, Rennie? I mean obviously not all of that is good news, but you just found out some pretty amazing things, right? You can get Gabe back, and you're getting a two-for-one deal in the baby department. Those should definitely be making you happier." She touched Reine's hand.

Reine forced a smile. "I know. You're right. It's just . . . things got a bit muddled along the way." She drew her hand away and buried her face in her palms. Rubbing her eyes, she fought with her emotions before looking up again.

Noor wrinkled her brows. "What do you mean? Muddled, how?"

Sitting straight up, Reine intertwined her fingers on the tabletop before addressing the befuddled girl in front of her. "Max and I had . . . a moment."

"A moment?" Noor's eyes widened. "What the heck is a moment? When? How? No, forget the how. Just the first two." She leaned forward in her chair.

"A few weeks ago back in France." Reine grimaced. She was uncomfortable having this conversation with Noor, but knew it was also unavoidable. "The night before we went to Bruges. We had dinner and then it just kind of happened-"

"Oh, Rennie. No." Noor frowned.

Reine raised her hand in protest. "Calm down, it was just a kiss. Well, actually it was quite a few kisses. And some fondling. Maybe even a bit of groping." She smiled at the recollection.

"How can you be so calm about this? Didn't I tell you to forget about Max? And now with everything you've just found out about him . . .." Noor crossed her arms and continued to scowl.

Reine shook her head. "I told you this was way before then-"

"And you're still getting all starry-eyed just thinking about it when the guy you actually picked - if you'd remember that part - is alive and totally available."

"I know, and that's why I feel so horrible!" Reine got up from the table. Walking the few steps into the kitchen, she filled a cup from the hot kettle. "I chose Gabe because - at the time - I thought I could have a somewhat normal life with him. Well, as normal as it could ever be possible for someone who doesn't age."

She dunked a tea bag into the steaming water before returning to the dining room.

"You know, even then I could tell something was off with me. I actually hoped it meant I was slowly losing my immortality. Believe it or not, that was the best outcome that I could imagine. But then all that disappeared. I lost all of you one after the other. No, you don't need to say anything." She held up a hand and shook her head, stopping Noor from objecting. "I know you were set up, and you had no other choice. Running away made me see that, and I won't ever hold it against you." She smiled at her friend, who wiped a tear from her cheek.