Chapter Fourteen: Bonds, Divorces and Apologies

I looked at Sarah who was staring at me with wide eyes.

Should I tell her?

A part of me said yes, because Sarah would eventually find out my secet and she would be mad that I kept a big thing from here. But on the other hand, there wasn't really a big chance that she would find out. 

“Ben’s parents are close friends with mine. I don’t know how to drive so he takes me places.” I lied, straight between my teeth.

Sarah nodded her head. “Oh, that explains it! But, I still don’t get why he is so overprotective of you.”

I shrugged in response to her question. She thought Ben was overprotective of me? “I don’t know it’s because we are close so you know the whole he’s like a big brother thing.”

“Oh, well that answers my questions. I got to get going I am late for music.” She said, turning towards the direction she was once headed in.

I nodded. “Yeah me too, I am late for Algebra.”

“See you later Ali!” Sarah said, as she proceeded to walk away. “I am sorry for doubting you!” She called out.

I let out a chuckle. ‘It’s fine.” I muttered, softly as I watched her turn the corner.

I sighed trudging my way to Algebra. “Bad boy, bad boy; what you gonna to do? What you gonna do when he comes for you?” I sang remembering the previous conversation with Gavin, when I ran into him down this very hall.

I was a few meters from the classroom door when I heard someone call my name, my real name. “Alice?” I heard, a soft voice say.

I dropped my hand from the door handle and turned around to come face to face with Holly. She was staring at me with red puffy eyes, she was wearing sweat pants and a worn out hoodie and her hair was put into a sloppy bun. She looked terrible considering Holly always puts thought into her outfit everyday.

“Yes?” I answered, impatiently, kind of the way Sarah talked to me a few minutes ago. 

“Um, can we talk?” She questioned, fidgeting with her fingers refusing to look me in the eye. “It’s kind of important.”

I let out a sigh, nodding my head. “I’ll meet you in the parking lot after school. I need a ride home.”

Holly perked up after hearing that I’d agree to talk with her. Truth is I wanted to sort this whole thing out. “Great, I’ll see you there.” She said, giving me a small smile and turning around and walking away.

I shrugged as I watched Holly turn around and walk away. I then turned back around opening the door and heading into the classroom.

“Miss Clair, so nice of you to join us.” I heard, Mr. Jennings say sarcastically.

“Sorry, I am late. It won’t happen again.” I told him, truthfully.

I faced the class as I looked for an empty seat to sit in. The only available seat left was next to Ben.

“Miss Clair, can you please take a seat? You are already late, now you are just being disruptive.” Mr. Jennings said from behind me.

I nodded, my eyes scanned the class again, magically wishing that an empty seat would be thrown from the havens and I wouldn't have to sit beside Ben.

I would have to face him sooner or later, but I preferred to pick the latter option. I trudged towards my seat to Ben taking a seat and opening up my notebook.