What a Wonderful World

... And clouds of white
The bright blessed day, the dark sacred night
And I think to myself what a wonderful world

The colors of the rainbow so pretty in the sky
Are also on the faces of people going by
I see friends shaking hands saying how do you do
They're really saying I love you

I heard Louis Armstrong sing, as I opened the door of our doormroom, after a stressful day of college.

I needed a fucking break from everything. I didn't know how much longer Seth would keep his mouth shut about Ruth. Staying away from Lillith would do for now, was what I had thought.

In front of me stood a drunkenly swaying Ethan - the music was carrying him. He had closed his eyes, a bottle of vodka in his hand.

I closed the door behind me with a sigh.

It's when I took his cell-phone and paused the song, that he plopped onto his bed with deep laughter, spilling a bit vodka in the process.

My best friend was no wounded soldier. His parents were loving, his life went well. But sometimes, something seemed to snap in his brain and he would start getting so miserable for days, sometimes weeks or even months. His family and I believe that maybe it got something to do with the fact that he fell from a treehouse when we were five. But it was only an assumption, that Ethan always declared to be false. He hurt his head pretty badly and would always complain about headaches after the accident, when he was younger. He still has them from time to time.

"Ethan..." I mumbled almost helplessly.

"What?" he giggled. "The counselor doesn't work. I'm not going there anymore."

"Shit, where is this coming from? Ethan, you need help, okay? This has to stop," I rambled. "You're like my brother and... I love you. I can't stand to see you like this every fucking week! Think about Dakota, at least. She's brave, like her bro, but you know that she's suffering quietly when she sees you like this. Think about your damn self! Why are you doing this to yourself? And I'm sorry for hitting you with this generic shit, but this... you can't keep living like this, man. Talk to me."

That's when he got up, threw his bottle free arm over my shoulder and started sobbing. And I let him. After all, it felt like he was my flesh and blood.