Chapter 8

I flicked on Luke's light to his bedroom, instantly waking him up. I threw a hand up to shield my eyes from the sudden change in exposure. He had done the same then quickly threw his comforter over his head.

"It's time to get up!" My voice rang through the whole house.

For Luke you would think that being pushed into adulthood and living without parental guidance would make him do the simple things like his own laundry or setting an alarm for himself to wake up, especially on the first day of school. He wasn't very responsible person in the first place, but it didn't bother me since he wasn't off and ruining himself.

He groaned over-dramatically, a habit he's always had in the morning. His mornings were always filled with moping, groaning, and complaining.

"You're the one who chose the 8am class." I informed him, walking towards his bed and sitting on the edge of it. He rolled over and turned his back to me, letting one of his feet bump into my back. Even with a queen bed he was still a bit tall for it. "Watch it, Hemmings." I said with a hint of annoyance.

After a few seconds he sat up from his bed, looking around rather confused. I've seen him do this for years, it made him look exactly like it a little kid. No matter how much I taunted him about it I've always thought it made him look cute. He looked at me with furrowed eyebrows and a subtle frown, which matched his attitude very well.

I took notice in his messy hair that was standing in every direction and the seemingly unnoticeable bags under his eyes. To any normal person they wouldn't even notice but I had grown to be so used to what he looked like that I could point out any change on him.

"You look so confused." I giggled as he kept glaring at me.

"I'm not." He spoke. His voice was deeper in the morning, as if that was anymore possible and today it was more harsh. "I'm just tired." He mumbled as he slouched over a little more.

"I can see that." I joked. He blinked a few times, finally letting his body wake up. "Big day." I sighed, coming to the realization that I also had my first classes today. "I'll make us some breakfast, sound good?" I usually only offered to make him something when I myself was hungry just so I knew I wouldn't put myself in such a hassle. He nodded head a few times as I stood up yet he kept his attention on me. I watched him as he rubbed his balled fists over his eyes.

"God." He breathed out, looking down then back up again quickly. "We're getting old." He slightly smiled, raising his eyebrows. I leaned against his door frame with my arms crossed.

"Don't remind me." I stated, letting out a soft laugh. I glanced from him to the ground as silence filled his room.

"Are we still going to live together then?" He questioned, now having a smile tugging at his lips. I looked up at him with the same grin on my face.

"Probably." I assured. With the last letter that rolled off my tongue, I spun around and headed towards the kitchen to start making breakfast for the both of us.

"Wait!" Luke called after me. I stopped in my tracks and trailed back to his room, but he stuck his head out of the door before I could get to it. "Extra shot of espresso in my coffee." He gave me a forced smile, one that he purposely made look awkward. I opened my mouth to reply, but he had already guessed what I was going to say. "Please." His smile grew a little bigger, making it impossible to say no. Not that I was going to anyways.

"Fine." I spoke rather quickly and walked towards the kitchen once more. "Just hurry up." I called behind me. "You don't want to miss your first class, you know your mom would kill you." I yelled out, not knowing if he could hear me since he had ran off to the bathroom.