4.7 : trepanation

Carmen saunters down the hallway of the bottom floors alone, quickly finding the girl's bathroom and walking into it. It was empty, dark, and cold, much like the majority of the building seemed to be.

She walked over to the mirrors and set her orange pill bottle on the counter, staring back at herself in the mirror. She raises her arm and examines it, noting that the marks had already begun to fade the smallest bit, signaling her impending doom.

Carmen runs a frustrated hand through her hair, gulping down the burning in her throat from her oncoming tears. She roughly snatches the pill bottle and pops two in her mouth, swallowing them dry with ease.

She closes the bottle just as the door creaks open and Stiles walks in, making her look to him curiously.

"Hey, what are you doing here?" He questions, obviously just as confused she was.

"Taking my pills, what are you doing in here?"

"You mean what am I doing in the boys' bathroom?"

"This is the girls bathroom."

"No, definitely not," Stiles chuckles amusedly, walking over to the sink next to her and taking out his own bottle. "Read the label when I walked in."

"Oh." Carmen bites the inside of her cheek, "Oops. Well, I'm glad it was you who walked in, or else that'd be really awkward."

Stiles hums in agreement, gulping down his own pills and putting the cap back on the bottle.

" . . How long do you think we have?" Stiles suddenly asks, disappointment strongly evident in his voice.

"I don't know . ." Carmen replies sadly, "She never gave us an estimate."

"We're going to die," Stiles mutters under his breath, looking at his reflection helplessly, "Aren't we?"

Carmen's eyes went wide and her frown deepens at his words, "No, we aren't dying here. I promise."

"There's nothing we can do." Stiles shakes his head. "Even if you broke one of the windows and let us out, that lady would still find us. She seemed pretty intent on killing us."

"Only if the Nogitsune takes over again," Carmen points out, "Besides, I'm sure Scott and them are already thinking of a plan to help you."

"Me?" Stiles gives her a puzzled look, "Don't you mean us?"

Carmen bites down on her lip and shakes her head slowly. "I'm not on the best terms with them right now. I'm sure they definitely wouldn't mind leaving me behind."

"Why would you say that?" Stiles murmurs, voice just above a whisper, "I don't know what happened, but whatever it was, it couldn't have been that bad to the point of them letting you get killed. You'll always be our friend, no matter what."

Carmen gives him a weak smile, yet distress was still evident in her face. "Don't worry about me, Stiles. When it comes down to it, I want you to focus on yourself. Focus on getting out of here. Even leave me behind if you have to, I'll understand."

"You're scaring me," Stiles sniffs, bringing a hand up to eliminate his forming tears, "Don't say that. There's no way I'm leaving you behind."

Carmen presses her lips together and chooses to stay silent.

"Maybe . ." Stiles begins, eyes averting from his reflection down to his hands, "Maybe we can find a way to fight it back. Ya'know, if it does happen. These pills aren't going to do anything once these marks fade, I don't even know why she bothered giving them to us."