CHAPTER THREE

Lexie pulled her lips away from his and stared into his eyes, unable to speak.
His eyes were his best features, blue and hypnotizing, Lexie thought.

"Mark, we can't." Lexie said, sighing.

"Why not? Lexie, I love you. I always have and I always will." Mark said, pulling her into the on call room to talk privately.
"Mark.. I love you too. But you're with Julia. We cant do this to her. She loves you." She said, tears brewing in her eyes.
"I-I'm sorry" Lexie said as she ran out of the room, tears streaming down her face.

Mark bit his bottom lip, trying to hold back his tears. But he couldn't. His face was red,hot,and wet.

He never cried, and he didn't want anyone seeing him cry either. Mark sat down in a corner and buried his face into his knees. He tried to take his mind off the subject and calm down, but it was nearly impossible.

He picked his head up and looked at the tear stains on his scrubs. "Stop crying Mark" he repeated. After a while he finally calmed down, so he stood up from the corner and left the room.

Lexie Grey walked across the crowded cafeteria holding a salad and a soda. She spotted Meredith, Alex, Cristina, and April sitting down together. She managed a smile and sat down beside April.
"Don't tell them." She thought.

"What's got you all happy sunshine?" April asked.

"Oh, nothing. Just having a good day." Lexie said, eyeing Meredith.
Cristina and Alex both decided they were done with their lunch and stood up to leave.

"April, are you almost done? I need to talk to Lexie." Meredith said. April nodded and followed shortly behind Cristina and Alex.

"Lexie. What happened?" Meredith asked kindly.
"Nothing," Lexie sighed. "I'm fine!"

"No you're not, I know you. You have that look on your face, and you've obviously been crying. Now, tell me what happened." Meredith stared, determined to find out what was wrong.

Lexie sighed, once again.
"When you left.. Mark k-kissed me. He's with Julia, it isn't right."
"Lexie, if he kissed you, then he's into you." Meredith gaped.

"Yeah, but you know Mark. There's only two options he can choose, and I'm scared he'll choose the wrong one. Option A, he can be with Julia. Option B, he can be with Julia and continue to see me." Lexie said.

"You forget option C, where he leaves Julia to be with you." Meredith said.
"Yeah.." Lexie said, looking down.

Mark worked his way through the crowded cafeteria and took a seat beside Julia. He looked over at Lexie, who was sitting with Meredith.
"She looks so beautiful." He thought to himself.

"Hey babe!" Julia said, with great enthusiasm. She was always enthusiastic and happy.
"Hey.." Mark said, looking down.

"What's wrong?" Julia said, putting her hand on his.
"I love Lexie." Mark blurted out, realizing what he said only after he said it.
Julia pulled her hands away from his and gaped at him, standing up.
"You.. we... we're over, Mark. You told me you were over her!" Julia said.
Julia grabbed her plate and walked away.

Lexie looked over at Mark, noticing he was looking at her.
"I'm sorry." She mouthed.
"Don't be." Mark mouthed back.

Lexie stood up and hurried out of the cafeteria. In the nurses station, she grabbed a trashcan and hurled. She asked Cristina to take over her patients, who was more than happy to. Lexie changed into her clothes walled to the elevator. As she waited for the elevator to come, the memories of earlier came flooded back. The elevator door opened and there stood Mark. The hallway was crowded so she had no choice but to ride in the otherwise empty elevator with him. She stepped in and looked him straight in the eye.

"You going to the lobby?" Mark asked, eyeing the chunks of vomit on her shirt.
"Yeah." Lexie said, chuckling.
"I... broke up with Julia." Mark said as the elevator doors opened.
Lexie kissed Mark on his soft, warm cheek and stepped out of the elevator. She went for the nearest exit and was glad to finally be leaving.

Why not? Lexie, I love you. I always have and I always will"
"I... broke up with Julia."
Lexie thought about those words as she drove home.
She wanted to continue kissing Mark, maybe even do something more.. but it wasn't the right thing. Although she didn't like Julia at all, she wanted to respect their relationship.

Lexie felt something wet on her cheek. She didn't realize she started crying. "Get it together, lex" she thought. She felt a pain in her chest—like if someone sat on her chest with an ass of studs. Her breathing gradually got shorter, then she decided to pull over.

It was an anxiety attack. She always has anxiety attacks. Some days she has one or even none at all, and on others she could even have five or six. "Calm down Lexie" she said. "Calm down, calm down,calm down,calm down.." she repeated.

A few minutes after that, she decided to start driving again. It was now 1:36 am, and Lexie couldn't wait to go home and sleep. She forgot about what happened earlier, and hummed along to the songs that played on the radio.

In the middle of the road, Lexie saw a bright light shining on her face. She started going a little bit slower.She quickly turned her head to the left, seeing a car speeding towards her. Lexie tried speeding up, but it was too late. The car hit her.

It felt like a scene from a movie. Her car turned and flipped as it went down a hill. Everything was in slow motion as she went down the hill. She tried yelling, thought it was useless. No one would hear her. Her blinks and smallest movements felt like they took a lifetime. She could already feel blood trickling down her face. Once she landed onto the ground, everything went back to normal, but only for a split second. Her eyes closed, and all that she could see was darkness. In that split second, she could hear too.

"Why not? Lexie, I love you. I always have and I always will"

*someone who witnessed the accident POV*

Michelle's jaw dropped to the ground. She was right behind the car of who she assumed was a drunk driver. She quickly pulled over and pulled out her phone. Michelle got out of the car and crossed the street. She stood at the top of the hill and turned on her phone. She pressed the 'Emergency Call' button that was on the screen that asks for your password.

"911, what's your emergency? Asked a man through the phone. "There's been an accident on Chestnut avenue, please hurry! The car that got hit went down a hill, i don't think they're okay!" Michelle said,panicking. She spoke quickly, and was surprised that the guy on the line understood her. The guy who crashed into Lexie's car seemed to be okay. It seemed like nothing even happened to him, just a dent in his car.

"Okay, were sending the paramedics over right now" the guy on the line said.