Have a Blast

The embers began to settle

The embers began to settle. I stood there for hours watching the flame reduce the dacoit and the wood into a pile of ashes and light. The smoke from the fire burnt my eyes into a teary mess. The ashes clouded the air with a smoky-musty scent and the light from the fire etched itself in red on the inside of my eyelids, revealing itself with every blink.

Luck can change person's future in such odd ways. Probably, any of us would end up like him if we were to be subjected to the same circumstances. I was left with no energy: neither physical nor mental and decided to walk away. At present, my destination did not matter. I just wanted to get away from these depressing thoughts.

The key was my key to solitude. I used it once again, tore through space and walked into the unknown.

When the luminance subsided I saw my own bed, my own room, my own ordinary life. Standing for hours besides the pyre I was sweaty, smelly and there was a black film of carbon adhered to my oily face. A cold shower cleansed my body and washed away my depression concurrently. Fresh clothes made me cosy and within no time I was asleep on my bed.

The next morning, I woke up with new vigour. I have a certain sense of pride in my ability to forget, refresh and start anew. I had a day to explore further before I got back to work. A few chores that I had ignored took up most of my daylight. Come evening time, I began to think about my freshly learnt abilities.

Firstly: being able to spontaneously reduce anything to ashes, just by writing some characters.

Secondly: being guided to places where some sort of trouble is brewing.

Finally: being able to teleport from one place to another at random.

The darkness brought along with it curiosity. I had time to try out the third ability of teleportation as I had deduced there would be some pattern to it rather than being transported to a random location. The first time I tried to teleport I reached a place I had been to before and the second time I reached a place where I wanted to go.

Trying the second one seemed like the safest option as I would not reach any unknown location. I wore warm clothes, carried my cell phone and some money and went up to my terrace. A cold breeze enveloped my skin raising goose bumps as I rubbed my palms for warmth.

My terrace was empty at the moment and presented a good opportunity to try the teleportation out. On hearing distant footsteps echoing along the staircase leading to the terrace I decided to hurry before someone came and ended my attempt. Hastily I grabbed the cold key and removed it out of the chain on my neck. I stabbed the space ahead of me as I had seen her doing and enunciated, "dwara udghataya."

The space split apart wrinkling the world around it and I walked into the light. The brightness subsided and I was standing in my room enjoying the warmth and lack of wind. Before I stepped inside I had thought of going back to my warm and cosy room. My doubts about being able to choose where to teleport came true.