Chapter 17-He Remembers

"Camelia hurry up we need to get ready!" Jamsine calls out from Camelia's dressing room.

Jamsine and Zayn surprised her two days ago, finding them down in the dining room chatting and having breakfast while they waited for her. Not once during their conversations did they reveal that little bit of information. They insisted the difficulty of leaving work, providing a list long of excuses why they wouldn't be able to attend her birthday. Of course being the trusting naive person she was she believed them.

Since then they were inseparable. Catching up, staying up watching movies and helping their mother set up for the event. The love and support of her family meant the world to her. Having her siblings around made everything blur in the background. It was like old times. Making new memories and sharing old ones.

A sigh escapes Camelia's parted lips as she surveyed herself in the same exact full length mirror she's had in her room since a child.  Only this time she wasn't wearing a birthday dress but was in her robe searching, probing into the depths of her blue India-ink like colored eyes.  She wasn't certain what she was searching for but the reflection that stared back at her was one of joy.  Eyes that reflected excitement.

The rush of elation coursed through her veins.  Despite the underlying circumstances, tonight was one of those nights she could say she felt content and happy.  It was a rare feeling where one could say they felt happiness.  It was a emotion many struggled to find.  It could mean several different things to many different people.  But to her, it defined finding hope and positivity in the smallest things and the people surrounding her encouraged the boost she needed to liven her spirits. 

Turning twenty-one was a important milestone.  A age which allowed her to do everything she was banned to do.  An age that opened new doors, new possibilities, new beginnings.  That was what she was looking forward to, hoping a new, fresher chapter was written in the stars for her after the threat against her was over and done with. 

She could only hope and onto that hope she stayed glued to.   For without it she had nothing.  It was the strong ones that overlooked the pains life threw at them and grew and learned from the many obstacles life dealt. 

It was a similar to a game of poker.  Even though one never knows what hand they are dealt, it was the smart ones that kept a straight face and used skill and wit to overcome the worst situations. 

"Camelia? Someone is knocking on the door, get it, will you?" Jamsine called out again.

Dragging herself out of her thoughts she notices the insistent knocking on her bedroom door. She turns away from the mirror and strides to open it.

"These things are heavy as hell! What took so long to open the door?" Her brother exclaims, blindly walking through the threshold.

Zayn and Max, come in holding two very large bouquets, one red and the other white placing them on the floor. One of her twin cousins, Devon, enters behind struggling to hold a great big bear that appeared taller than a NBA basketball player.

"Sorry..." She mumbles eyeing the flowers, huge bouquet of balloons and the gigantic bear with curiosity. "Who are all these from?"

"I don't know but all I know is my back is killing me!" Zayn replies with a grunt trying to smooth his slicked black hair away from his face.

Camelia smiles gratefully, steps around the flowers and places a kiss on her brother's cheek. She turns and does the same to Max's and Devon's. "Thank you guys."