T h i r t y n i n e

T  H  I  R  T  Y N I N E

「  T  H  I  R  T  Y  N  I  N  E  」

:

Things where slowly starting to add up. Most beat around the bush and take forever to realise what is happening well not me. It was as if I had become socially aware all of a sudden. Things began to add up quicker and quicker. Maybe it was just because I'm smart or that I'm aware of my place on the chess board. Funny that everyone always compares to the game between villain and hero as a chess game. In Gotham everything was always about the game. The social hierarchy game, whether you're on the good side or the bad you're in the game, most just aren't aware. Now it's time to come face to face to one of the bigger game players.
Oswald Cobble pot or as others know him—
Penguin.

The Ice berg lounge; Penguins place of nightly residence. The now current location of Scarlett Quinzel. Scarlett weaves through the crowds of bodies all mingling together into a drunk swaying blur. Scarlett didn't bother to hide away in an alleyway and sneak through the back. No, she wanted to be noticed, she wanted to be seen. So like any other person who wants to be noticed she walked right on through the front door. More so drove right up to it and showed an infamous card, one that she knew would guarantee her automatic access. A simple game card. Not just any card tho like the three of clubs or seven of hearts. Scarlett held the most ironic card of all, the one that leaves behind a gut twisting message. The Joker.

Escorted through the crowd towards a rather boxy styled room overlooking the masses Scarlett began to feel weary. Her eyes trained strictly forward not caring if anyone was to recognise her, not that she thought she'd be recognised.
"Sir, you've  got a visitor." Her escort said moving aside a curtain of icicle beads, their holographic colours shimmering as the lights of the club caught them. Stepping through the threshold Scarlett eyes narrowed on the familiar man sat between two adoring women.
The dark haired man snapped his head upwards a glass of alcohol in hand.
"Scarlett dear." He said cheerfully standing to his feet " What a pleasant surprise." His arms outstretched towards her, welcoming her into his club. " Take a seat my dear, sit sit." He beckoned ushering her towards the white plush  seats. " We have so much to catch up on—." "Good." Scarlett said bluntly not making any effort to sound polite in Penguins company.

" I must say I am quite surprised to see you unscathed, that was a messy little brawl you got yourself into my dear." Penguin chastised reaching towards his bottle of what Scarlett could only assume was some expensive liquor. " Where are my manners, what would you like to drink? I can have someone bring you something up from the—." " I'm fine thank you." Scarlett interrupted shrugging off the small notion of drinking with this man before her. Her mind ticking as she grew bored of his flattery that he continued to shower her with.

" Are you quite done flattering me Penguin?" Scarlett sneered as she pulled her lips into a small smile, her fingers drumming against the white leather of the couch. Almost as if on que Penguins smile grew into a charming smirk, he'd knew he'd been caught trying to butter her up. He was so much smarter than he was letting on. " Smart— But not so smart enough it seems." He scoffed taking one last sip of his liquor downing the glasses contents. " Maybe, maybe not." Scarlett countered leaning back into the couch her hands falling into her lap. " Aren't you the least bit curious as to why I'm here?" Penguins smirk growing as he leaned forward his cane in hand as he leaned on it for support. " I already know why you are here child." Without thought the two women sat beside Penguin where dismissed leaving the two alone to speak more freely.

" Good. So what is this deal you and Joker have made. Anyone who's smart knows that it's a pact of some sort, but what kind."

Standing to her feet Scarlett began to pace, her eyes wandering around the box office styled room. " A money pact? One where you can't go after one another or one another's turf."

As Scarlett spoke Penguin leant against his cane even more. The dark brooding look in his eyes signalling only one thing for Scarlett, she was getting closer to whatever plan that she was apart of. " So what I want to know is why. Why go through all this trouble, especially using me, what do you gain?"

" You're smarter than that Scarlett. Use your head." Penguin said bluntly his eyes falling to out the window overlooking his club. "I'm smart enough to know that you're using my friend as leverage against me, to be used as leverage against Harley who's leverage towards the Joker. But why? Scarletts body standing before him, her eyes burning into the side of his head as he turned to face her agonisingly slow, a smirk growing on his face, a laugh escaping his lips. " It's not like I am a threat to you, so why use me?"

" I believe you've answered you're own question but look at it this way dear. Look who you've become." His head tilting to the side as he used his cane to help him to his feet. " I helped to make you."
Scarlett scoffed " You didn't do anything. All you've done is keep me occupied so that your men over there have enough time to block my exit." She smirked as two of Penguins men stalked into the lounge. " Anyone would start to think you feel threatened by me."
"No dear I'm not threatened by you. I made you." He scoffed as he caught eyes with one of his men.

On instinct  Scarlett felt a hand reaching for her arm, fingers brushing her jacket, swiftly turning she matched her fingers around the mans wrist using all her weight and strength to lurch him forward. Stumbling into the other suited man behind her. A groan leaving her lips as she drew back her elbow bringing it down into his stomach as his arms latched them self around her. With his arms still latched around her she leant back into him using her weight and his grip to lift herself up kicking her attacker walking towards her in the stomach.
Stamping her heel down onto her captures foot, throwing  her head back smacking into his nose, releasing herself from his grip. Stumbling back the guy grasped his nose slowly wiping away some blood.

Groans of protest could be heard as Scarlett moves hastily out the way of the charging bodyguard letting him crash into the table beside the white leather couch. Her attacker from behind grasping a mound full of her dirty blonde locks making her cry out in pain. His other free hand grasping her throat slowly cutting off her airways. Gasping for breathe she clawed at his hands screaming out as she used her weight to swing her legs up around his arm, the pair tumbling to the floor. Scarlett lower back aching on impact as she kicked the guy in the lower jaw hearing a mild crack making her wince. Standing to her feet breathlessly she turned to gave Penguin, her bottom lip throbbing as she let out a sigh of relief in her head that she didn't have to use her knives.
" Tell me where he is penguin." She growled taking a threatening step towards penguin.

The man stood tall cane in hand in his infamous black suit.
" TELL ME" she shouted in frustration, not before penguin grinned raising his cane.

A small black feathered dart flew from the end of the cane landing right in Scarlett thigh. Wincing as she began to feel the drug take instant effect, her legs growing now letting her body collapse, her legs caving in as she lay on the cold black flooring. Her eyes growing drowsy as she lay still fighting her stinging heavy eyelids. Penguins footsteps ringing in her ears as she lifted her head slowly trying to look up towards him.
" first things first; well done. I'm impressed." His smile growing upon his face. " Second, You can come out now."
The sound of heels echoing off the black flooring brought Scarlett attention. A slender hand reached down grasping a fist full of Scarlett hair tugging her head upright to face her abuser. " Hello Quinny."

Scarletts drowsy foggy eyes met the ones of Katrina Kyle. Her Cheshire Cat tinted red smile gleaming. " Pleasure to see you again."
" You trained her very well Katrina dear." Penguin applauded as he squeezed Kats shoulder proudly. " Oh I know, It's a shame really we could of had so much more fun together."

" Let's go Kyle we've got a car to catch, a chemical plant to visit."