Chapter 4- The realization

Kyla’s P.O.V.

****************************************************************************************

I was resting quietly, in my wolf form, at the borders of the Mountain Dew pack.  My part in the attack plan was done. Again, I was chosen as the bait, and this time I had to spread my scent over the boundary area to make the guards leave their positions and chase after me. It had taken a lot of twists, turns and narrow escapes to lose them off my back.

I heard a lot of screams followed by wolf howls coming from the main camp of the pack, marking the beginning of the attack. Sometimes, I was glad that they always chose me as the bait. My alpha told me that it was because I was weak and I didn’t argue with him. I knew within my heart, that I was one of the more skilled fighters of my pack. But the idea of killing innocent people, without any reason, did not appeal to me.

Don’t get me wrong. I have killed people; but mostly in self defense. It was necessary, if I had to survive. I was always chosen as the bait, and I had come across many situations where I had to kill to escape. But the idea of killing someone in cold blood, gave me the shivers. Maybe, I was weak. All my other pack members did not seem to have any problem in killing.

Suddenly, I heard a rustle of dry leaves followed by the sound of quiet footsteps. I stiffened myself immediately. I saw a woman followed by a little girl of around 3 years creeping up slowly on the path. The woman was pregnant; judging from the small bump on her belly. They had somehow managed to escape the camp during the attack. If they thought that they could escape by creeping around so slowly, they were sorely mistaken.

My pack members were no fools. They usually follow all the fresh trails leading from the pack during the attack, and hunt and kill the people trying to escape. ‘No witnesses’ that was the motto during attack.

I had been brought into the pack when I was 8 years old. When I had seen my Alpha fight, I was fascinated by his power and his skills of fighting. I wanted to learn to fight like him. Alpha Lucius was also very clever. His strategies of attack were ingenious; flawless. The other members of the pack preferred to use their power and strength instead of their brains. But, I was a child then. Anything I heard and saw, I believed.

Now, I was 16 years old. These days, there were times when I questioned Alpha Lucius’ principles. According to him, anyone who was FOR the royal family was AGAINST him. He had been deprived of his rightful place on the throne, by his own father, and the crown had been passed on to his younger twin brother. He had vowed vengeance against the royal family.

But I didn’t understand how the killing of innocent people came into the picture. Especially, if they were pregnant women and little children, who had not yet shifted. They barely knew how to read and write, least of all, know about the royal family.

I quickly made up my mind to help the two of them to escape. I jumped out of my hiding position, causing them to jump in fright. The woman dropped the small bundle of clothes she was carrying, she picked up the little child in her arms. I prowled towards them slowly, and just as I had intended, the woman started running with her kid towards the main road. Hopefully, a car would pass and they could hitch a ride to the main city. After they were out of sight, I quickly shifted back to my human form. I picked up the bundle of clothes and donned one of them. I held the bundle tightly in my hands and began running in the opposite direction. While I was running, I made sure that I scraped the bundle on the barks of trees that I passed through. Hopefully, this would leave a clear trail for my pack wolves to follow.

Sure enough, after a few minutes, I heard the sound of wolves coming towards me. I couldn’t shift yet. This would make the woman’s scent disappear, leaving only my wolf’s strong scent in its place. I forced myself to run even faster, I had to just reach the lake that I was heading towards. I heard them gaining faster towards me.