Chapter 36: Failure

Saira's P.O.V

I was completely mad, no I was furious. I have told Iroh from the beginning on that I'm not his damn little toy.
Behind me, I heard Iroh calling my name. But I blended him completely out, not wanting to deal with his nonsense. My feet dragged me everywhere but not home. I ended up in a dark area of Republic City, completely alone. Suddenly I heard a noise behind me. I made myself ready to attack, but the person who came out of the shadows was no one else than Gommu. I sighed in relief. I swear he wouldn't be alive if it wasn't him.

"Hello, hello, Lady Saira."

"Good evening Gommu. What are you doing here at this late hour?"

"I'm looking for food. But I should ask you this. What are YOU doing here?"

"I needed some fresh air."

"In this district? I thought richies like you won't ever come here."

"Well, I'm different."

"I already noticed."

"Can you guide me home?"

"Hmmmm I could. But why should I?"

"I will offer you a delicious meal."

He kept thinking for a while. I didn't care if he said yes or no. I would find my house by myself, I wasn't dependant by this man. But I liked the idea to offer him something. I needed something or someone who would help me to think about something else than Iroh. I didn't want to cry, I was not ready for it.

"Deal!", Gommu smiled.

I nodded and we started walking. Soon we arrived in my district and I immediately recognized the surroundings. In front of my house, I found Iroh's car standing. And Iroh eyeing me. I completely ignored him and opened the door to my home. I let Gommu in first and got in myself, closing the door before Iroh could reach it.

"Please don't make one of those meals that are served at restaurants."

"Pardon?"

"I mean that food. It isn't even enough for a kid and super expensive."

"Oh you're talking about that. Yeah, I feel you. That's one of the reasons why don't enjoy goings to those posh restaurants. But you don't worry."

I ended my sentence and ran upstairs to change.
As I walked downstairs, Gommu was waiting patiently. First I served him a small starter so he wouldn't be that hungry til I was finished with the main course.

Gommu left immediately after the dinner, taking some food with him for his friends.
As he left, I closed the door behind me and sank to the floor. My tears were coming from my eyes like a waterfall. I couldn't stop them and sobbed into my hands. It felt as if someone pulled my heart of my chest. I was feeling pain and emptiness. And not to forget anger.
He defamed me.
Took my whole pride.

I didn't know what mistake I have done. Everything was just completely shattered.

It started from my hands to my toes. I was freezing. I was feeling cold and empty...

Iroh's P.O.V

Saira hit the door behind her. I didn't know, how long I was standing in front of her house, staring at the closed door. But then I realized what I have done.

"If you had asked me for my life, I would have sacrificed it for you with a smile. But you stripped me of my pride Iroh."

Her words were echoing in my head like a defect CD. I didn't mean to hurt her. And I knew she hated me now. It hurt me to see tears in her eyes. Tears caused by me. But I did not have any other choice. I was afraid of loosing her. I was afraid she would suffer from a heart attack, caused by the paparazzi because I knew she was stressed when they were around.
But I guess I have just lost her forever.
As I walked home, Lu Ten was still awake.

"You don't look very happy big brother. What happened?"

"I followed father's advice."

"No. You didn't. You didn't break up with Saira, didn't you?"

"I did."

"How stupid can you be Iroh? I mean...have you gone mad?"

"I didn't have any other choice."

"Oh you had Iroh! You fucking had! What will you do now? Look for an other girl? They are all running after you, Your Highness, that's true! But Saira was running only after you, Iroh. Without that Highness shit!"

"Just shut up Lu Ten!"

"Oh no, I won't shut the fuck up this time! Would you throw away a diamond and pick up a rock?"

"That's not the right time for metaphors, Lu Ten!"

"Answer me!"

"No! I wouldn't!"

"Then why did you leave sissy-in-law?"

"She isn't your sister-in-law."

"Don't change the topic!"

I knew my brother was right. I knew I made a mistake by leaving Saira but I had no other choice.

"I was afraid something might happen to her."

"You are lying again, Iroh. You're two years older than me, so we basically are twins. Tell me what happened exactly."

"Father asked me, if I was ready to marry. I told him, that I wasn't and that I didn't know, when I was. So he suggested me either to get married or to leave Saira, since I didn't know when I was ready. He told me, I shouldn't waste her time since she was young and would carry on. That's why I decided to leave her. Because of that and because I was afraid she might get a heart attack."

"Why that?"

"Saira and I went to the doctor the next day, after introducing her to our parents. The doc diagnosed Unstable Angina Pectoris. That means that her arteries can get narrowed that means that blood won't be able to run through her heart."

"And what does that have to do with your relationship?"

"Did you forget her condition was that night? It was because of the stress. It was the same the other day, when the paparazzi were in front of the house. I'm afraid she might get too stressed and that her heart might fail."

"Don't you think that will affect her more? I'm sure it was easier for Saira when you were with her. Because she knew she wasn't fighting them alone. She didn't have to fight them Iroh. She did it because of you.
But now she is completely left alone. Saira was harassed during your relationship. She will be more harassed now since people want informations from her. And since you two are not together anymore, it will affect her even more since it's like a punch in her face because you promised her that you will be there for her no matter what. And you broke that promise."

"If you had asked me for my life, I would have sacrificed it for you with a smile. But you stripped me of my pride Iroh."