Fifty Five.

My mom sat beside me on the couch, her folded hands resting on her lap. She said she wanted to talk to me. I had not seen my mom this serious in a while. Briefly I wondered what she wanted to talk to me about. A flash of panic surged through me when I thought that she knew that Colby and I, well, were playing hanky panky. I tried not to squirm in my seat.

“Kayla,” my mom started, her voice somber. “I am very—“

“Sorry!” I blurted out. So much for not squirming.

My mom raised her eyebrows. I felt like I just swallowed my tongue.

“I-I,” I sputtered. How did these talks go, anyway? I suddenly wished the couch would just eat me.

“Kayla,” my mom said again, seemingly choosing to ignore my behavior, “this came in the mail for you today.”

I watched as my mom fished out an envelope from behind her. A nice, thick envelope. It must’ve been wedged somewhere in the couch. My eyes widened as I caught University of Chicago printed on the envelope. My heart started to accelerate.

Acceptance letters usually come in thick envelopes, right?

My mom handed the envelope to me. I took it, and it felt heavy in my hands. I just stared at it for what seemed like forever until my mom cleared her throat and told me to open it with barely contained excitement. Or maybe nerves.

I knew my nerves were going on a haywire.

Carefully, with my mom’s eyes trained on me, I opened the package. There it was, poking through the slot in the envelope. The letter that would determine my future.

Just read the letter, Johnson.

With a deep breath, I flipped the letter open and when my eyes read the words we are pleased, accepted, and astronomy, my breathing literally stopped.

I got accepted to the university of my dreams and I was going to study the thing I had loved since I was seven years old. It must’ve been written all over my face because the next thing I knew, my mom had me in her arms and was squeezing the life out of me.

Hugging my mom back, a huge smile spread across my face. When my mom whispered her congratulations to my ear, and how proud she was of me, my eyes became a little watery. It was a really great moment for us both. Then I pulled away and held my mom at arm’s length.

“I have to call Matty!”

My mom laughed and let me go, and I proceeded to call my brother. He let out a whoop, right to my ear and I probably busted my ear drum just then but I was too happy to care. When we finished talking, I raced back downstairs and called out to my mom.

“I’m going over to Susan’s!”

I heard my mom said okay and I was out the door, jogging towards Susan’s house. I rang the doorbell, and my boyfriend was the one to answer.

His brows furrowed slightly, but there was a smile on his face. “Hey.”

“I got in!” I exclaimed, and threw my arms around Colby’s neck.

I felt Colby’s arms go around my waist and they held on tight. “Of course you got in. I told you, remember?” He said against my hair.

“Yeah, you did,” I mumbled at his neck, pressing my lips against his skin and then inhaling his scent. Boy he smelled good. I held on for a couple more moments before gently easing out of his embrace. With his arms still wrapped loosely around me, I stared up at him and asked, “How about you? Got any letters yet?”