Sixteen

(Iris' P.O.V.)

After all the champions made it back and the scores were announced, Cedric pulled her up the hill, keeping his arm around her.

It's only to keep you warm, she reminded herself harshly.

That didn't keep her heart from trying to beat out of her chest every time his hand shifted.

Don't ever let go, Cedric. He would. She knew that someday he would let go and she would crash to the ground.

He led her through the castle and into the common room, then pulled her straight up the boy's staircase. She could feel herself blushing as their friends following whistled and made crude jokes. Cedric just ignored them, pulling her closer to his side as they headed to his dorm.

"Here, you can wear this." He handed her one of his Hufflepuff jumpers and a pair of her leggings that must have made it into his trunk during Christmas break.

They both turned away from each other and she dragged her soaking wet clothes off. She quickly pulled on the jumper and sighed at the warmth. It smelled like Cedric and she couldn't be happier.

"Er, are you decent?" He asked, and when she mumbled yes in reply, they turned around and she saw that he had pulled on a pair of sweatpants and a matching Hufflepuff sweater. 

He stared at her for a moment, and she took the chance to stare back. His hair was tousled and dripping water down his face. His gray eyes were lit with an emotion she couldn't quite place, and his hands were trembling, probably from the cold.

"Are you cold?" His voice sounded hoarse, and she hoped he wasn't getting sick.

"A bit." She whispered, suddenly feeling shy around her best friend, which was something new.

"Come here." He pulled a blanket off of his bed and wrapped it around the two of them, pulling her close once again. Then he guided her downstairs where the were greeted with cheers and congratulations for Cedric saving her.

He answered them all quietly, and soon a victory party was in full swing. At the moment Cedric was tied with Harry Potter, and Hufflepuff house couldn't be prouder. Their own golden boy was right up there with Harry freaking Potter.

Cedric didn't move away from Iris. Instead he sat down in one of the comfy armchairs and pulled her right into his lap. She knew her face was red, but she just curled into his warmth and closed her eyes.

The sounds of partying faded around her and she started drifting out on the sea of sleep in her little boat.

I love you, 'Ris.

She could have sworn someone whispered that in her ear, but she was too far gone to know. And then she was fast asleep in Cedric's arms.

~~~

When she woke up it was nighttime, and a few hard party goers were still at it. Cedric was asleep, his head leaning against hers, and she felt her breath catch.

His eyelashes fluttered against his cheeks slightly and he murmured something in his sleep. She watched him quietly. The way he looked years younger when he slept was something she loved about him. He looked as though nothing was wrong, and she wished it were that way in real life too. His hair had dried and was sticking up in seven different directions.

She giggled quietly and then snuggled back into him, burying her face in the crook of his neck and falling back to sleep.

~~~

By the time she woke up again people were slowly getting up, but most were still passed out in their dorms or on the floor even.

Cedric was still sleeping, but he was muttering in his sleep and she knew he would wake up soon.

His arms were wrapped tightly around her to keep her in place and she was snuggled close to him. Personally, she never wanted to move again, because being in Cedric's arms was like a dream come true.

He started to stir and she closed her eyes, breathing his scent in before she came crashing back to reality.

"'Ris?" Damn. It should be illegal for anyone's voice to sound like that in the morning.

"Morning, Ced." She sighed, hoping he didn't push her off.

To her surprise, he only pulled her closer and rested his head against hers again, sighing contentedly and closing his eyes. 

Maybe neither of them wanted to move.

~~~

Dearest Cedric,

The Second Task is over, and you're safe. There's only one more task, and I couldn't be happier. Maybe everything will be okay. I can go to Beauxbatons next year without guilt. I don't want to leave you, but I'm afraid that staying will break me in a way that won't ever be mended.

I am what you would miss most. I wish you would realize that you are the same for me. If I had been in the Tournament it would be me saving you. Because I would miss you more than anything. I suppose I will miss you more than anything when I go to Beauxbatons next year.

I just can't stand this place anymore. There are memories of being with you all over this castle. Every nook and cranny has a memory of laughing with you, or studying with you, or just being with you. It reminds me of the fact that you will only ever be my best friend, and that hurts so much.

I love you, Cedric Diggory. Don't be my best friend anymore. Please.

Always Yours,

'Ris