CHAPTER FOUR.

chapter four — getting to know
"You must believe in yourself to do something in yourself." — unknown

———

EDITED: December 6th, 2020
Spencer's POV

SHE'S BEAUTIFUL.

WORDS CAN'T EXPLAIN how amazingly beautiful she looks, I noticed her beauty the split second I first walked into the elevator and met her. But, of course, she is my co-worker now, I cannot like her. It would be completely unprofessional of me, and he knew Hotch seemed to be strict with relationships.

"Hello?"

A voice snapped me out of my thoughts, and I jerked my head up towards where I heard the voice echo out — I fiddled with my hands that were once peacefully resting on my lap to glance upwards who had spoken up towards me.

"I asked you a question," Theresa blinked, awaiting an answer with raised brunette eyebrows, probably testing if I was even listening to her in the first place — it wasn't like I was purposely ignoring her, I was being blinded by her beauty.

I quickly scanned my mind, and an immediate answer popped up in just a few seconds afterwards. "I wanted to join the BAU because, well, I don't know. I guess I just wanted to."

"Lame," she joked, her smile growing a bit playfully. "No tragic backstory? Not the common 'I just want to help people' 'Just wanted to'?"

I didn't say anything to her snarky response, and she tilted her head a bit with pointedly narrowed eyes; almost as if she was reading me. "Why are you looking at me like that?"

"No reason," Theresa responded, shrugging softly as she leaned back in her seat, her eyes wavering over towards the glass window.

The sun now has fully risen, the sky a light pink but mostly blue, with a few clouds displayed. I'd never get used to how beautiful the sky looks when the sun rises and falls, and being on a plane seems to only amplifies that beauty.

"I wanted to become a profiler because of my parents," she blurted, and I raise my head from staring at the clouds to Theresa's sudden statement.

"Your parents?"

"Yeah, uh, they worked, actually, at Quantico," Theresa explained slowly, and her throat bobbles a bit as she swallows deeply, her eyes narrowly escaping mine. She peeled open her lips, but then clasped them back shut, like she wasn't sure of what she was going to say. "They're passed away now, but, uh, they meant a lot to me making the decision of joining."

"I'm sorry," I began, wanting to say something else that could comfort her crossing sad expression, but I couldn't find the right words without fearing I'd sound socially awkward and unacceptable, so I quickly closed my mouth.

"It's fine," She gazed at me with a full smile, but behind her smile, I saw sadness. A sadness deep enough that she must've been through an earthquake that shook her, hard.

•••

The rest of the hour before we got to New Haven was of silence, Tessa was now reading a book she brought, her eyebrows buried in concentration as she focused on each word. Her green eyes quickly scanning the sentences, she'd lick her lips after a few minutes, and I couldn't stop staring.

"Reid!"

I jumped up from suddenly hearing my name, and I immediately recognized it as Morgan, who was calling me from the couch. He had a half-tilted smirk written all over his face, and my eyes switched over to JJ who had a similar expression.

"I'll be back."

"Mhm," Tessa doesn't even seem phased in the slightest as she nodded and mumbled something ineligible, instead, flipped through the following page and continued reading.

I rose up from my comfy spot in the chair, using both my palms for support, and then carefully stepped over my carry- on bag leaning against my chair. I regrettably trip over the strap of it, but quickly compose myself before Tessa could see me struggle. I adjust my brown sweater vest, glancing over towards Tessa, but she didn't even seem to notice, so I cleared my throat awkwardly and moved my way over towards the two.

"What?" I asked quickly, almost slightly irritated without meaning to, I was enjoying staring — I mean, reading, with Tessa.

"Look, dude, you can't stare at her like that," Morgan commented, holding back a chuckle with a bright, toothy smile. My cheeks turn a light red as I swallowed harshly, he saw me staring at her? "You're adorable, but girls don't like it when your eyes are practically falling out of your head."

"Uh, I wasn't. It wasn't, like, I wasn't staring at her," I stuttered on my words unconsciously, and I brought out my puppy dog eyes in hopes they wouldn't tease me too much.

"Spencer, just talk to her," JJ finally added to the conversation, a small laugh echoing from her pink lips.

"I can't..." I murmured, gazing down at the ground at my feet to avoid their deep, judging stares.

"Be yourself, pretty boy," Morgan grasped my shoulder as he got up to walk to the coffee maker in the back of the plane, and he signaled for me to follow with a nod of his head in the general direction.

"Morgan," I started, grabbing two available mugs from the black cupboard. I carefully poured coffee into both of them, and add a ton of sugar and creamer to both. "I don't know how to be myself."

Morgan's laugh rumbled throughout the plane, and I ducked from anyone's view from the front of the plane — the last thing I need is more people to question me.

"Be nice. Look, you're pouring two cups, one for you and one for her. You'll be fine, be sweet. Ask her on a date, and BOOM, you're laid," Morgan briefly described, all while doing so, had made his own cup of coffee, and took a small sip from it quickly in between words.

"I don't to want to be laid Morgan, I want to, well—" I mumbled a bit, struggling in finding the correct words.

"—Fall in love."

———

a/n: don't forget to vote and comment and such!! love you all <3