13 | A Battle for Life

A/N: I watched The Walking Dead again today, so I got inspired to write and for fans out there, I took a little scene from the show. :)

* On the side is an amazing Christmas gift/ graphic by my friend Alex @raddirection.

HARRY

     It was me, Harry. It was me.”

     Upon hearing my name, I looked up to see where the voice was coming from. My eyes went immediately to the person beside the door, turning my gaze away from Louis as I stared in disbelief, taken aback with what I just heard.

     “What did you say?” Louis probed right before I was about to do it myself. Looking at my best friend clearly denoted that he, himself, was in incredulity and shock as soon as he heard those words come out from that person’s mouth.     

     “I said that it was me, Louis. I-I did it.”

     I couldn’t help but feel bewildered and wide-eyed with what I had just heard. My eyes kept darting back and forth on the two of them, and from the way Louis looked; he could not believe it himself. His face read that all the faith and trust that he once had for her seemed to fade away, denoted by how his eyebrows were creased together, resentment slowly building up to his emotions.

     “I’m…I’m so sorry Louis. It was a mistake.” She spoke those words with apparent regret, and small drops of sorrow poured out from her eyes.

     I was really in the state of great bafflement, puzzled and constantly thinking about the possible reasons why she did it. I could not blame Louis for the way he responded, for I was feeling the same thing. I was upset for there was this thought in my head that finally, there were more people whom I could turn to, people whom I could at least give my trust in times like these, but on the spur of the moment, all of the hope and reliance faded away. As I was looking at her at this instant, all I was feeling were pure frustration, for I felt like I was stabbed in the back. And the forbidding thing was, it felt like it was not her mistake at all, because it was mine. It was my mistake to trust her at once, owing to the fact that I thought that she saved our lives.

     “Hannah, please tell me that you’re lying. I-I don’t understand. We were together at that time. You told me that you heard the gunshot, and…and then you found them. Please tell me what’s going on!” Louis raised his voice which caused an atmosphere of astonishment inside the room.

     I wanted to ask her the same thing. The pain that I was feeling in my heart was incessantly intensifying; all the burden and blame were going directly to her for why Niall was suffering. But as much as I wanted to ask, and given my friend’s upsurge of raging emotions, I decided not to, in order for her to be given time to respond to our common concern.

     “I lied Louis! I’m sorry. I was…”

     “You were what Hannah?!”

     She could no longer speak. Her words were already stifled deep by her bellows of despair. My emotions were still a mess, an amalgam of hate and sympathy for the girl who I thought saved our lives. There was this part of me that wanted to shout at her, putting all the blame on her for almost taking Niall’s life away from us, but there was also this part where I wanted to enfold her in my arms, and console her from the indignation that Louis was giving her. However, I could understand my best friend’s viewpoint for this. I would’ve had felt the same thing, especially if I were on his position where he knew this girl for at least an ample amount of time to earn his trust, as well as living in the same abode amidst the miserable apocalyptic world we were in. But as of now, my heart was full of pain, and the thought that she was the reason why Niall was hurting, was gaining control over my mind, and the sentiment of reproaching her acts was becoming more prevailing in my head.