Jamie & the Brand New Car

(16 years old)

"What are you up to?" dad asked, leaning against my doorway.

"Reading."

"I'm going out for a couple of hours, care to come with?"

That was sort of our thing. Whenever my dad went to run errands on a Saturday morning I would usually join him.

We would usually get coffee and donuts on the way, chat about our week. It was our time.

"Of course, daddy."

He flashed me a crooked smile. "Ten minutes." And then he disappeared again.

I changed into appropriate clothing to venture out in, grabbing my phone before heading downstairs.

Dad was sitting at the kitchen table, his feet propped up and his iPad in front of him.

"Mom would kill you."

He glanced up at me, offering me a brief smile. "Good thing she never has to know." He dropped his iPad, standing up. "That was fast."

"Where to this morning?" I asked, following him out the door.

"Well I do believe that if I don't buy the cord to hook up the TV out on the back porch your mother might finally follow through in her threats to kick my ass."

"You're finally going to fix that old thing?"

It probably doesn't even work anymore. It's been out there for months and my dad had never bothered to hook it up.

"Old? Your mom just bought it on Black Friday."

I rolled my eyes.

"But yes," dad said. "That very one."

"Impressive. She'll be surprised."

He shot me a smile. "That's the goal."

I rolled my eyes as I climbed into the passenger seat of his car. "What did you do?"

"It's always something, James."

That's so true. My dad was always in hot water for one thing or another.

We went to Starbucks and took a seat at one of the unused booths.

"So I paid 4 dollars for your overglorified milkshake," dad said, with a smirk.

I told a long sip of my Frappuccino. "Sure did."

We had a deal during our Starbucks dates. Nobody tells mom.

Because my dad will drink an espresso, sometimes even two. And my mom would never approve.

I don't particularly approve. But my opinion doesn't count for much when my dad is buying.

During our Starbucks dates, my dad likes to get caught up in the small details. He likes to know how my classes are going, how my friends really are, and all the little gossip that I've overhead lately.

And vice versa. My dad was a stay-at-home dad, so he knew what was going on around the town.

"Can you believe she's cheating on him?" dad asked, shaking his head. "After everything Eddie has done for her, that bitch is having an affair."

"Doesn't surprise me," I said, shaking my head. "Mrs. Williams is constantly hitting on you."

My dad's eyebrows furrowed together in confusion. "On me?"

I couldn't help but laugh. "How could you not notice? She invited you to a keys party dad."

He stared at me for a few moments. "You're too young to know what that is."