Chapter 188 - July 9th (part 2)

"Okay Peanut, last time." Lin kissed my head, and put his hands on my shoulders, shuffling me into the theater in front of him. He waved to the people crowding the stage door as we went in. There were tons of people here, and there were extra fences set up.

"Dad, I'm sad." I sighed, right as I stepped inside.

"I know, I am too." He admitted, sighed, then a soft smile spread over his face. "I love you, Kiddo."

"I love you too, Dad."

"Come here." He said, wrapping me in a hug, and kissing my forehead. "My little girl." He sighed. "Well, I have work to do, I'll see you in a few." He pulled away from the hug, and walked off towards his room, and I did too. I walked upstairs to my old bedroom, and sat down on the mattress.

I sat under the blanket, leaning up against the wall. I only lived in here for a couple months, but a lot of important things happened here. This was the first place I really felt safe. This was where Lin told me he was going to adopt me.

I didn't think he was going to adopt me. I had just told him that he should send me back into foster care, and I'll never forget the look on his face when I did.

"I thought I'd find you in here." I was called out of my reminiscing, by Chris standing in the room.

"Hi." I smiled.

"Hi darling. Are you excited for tonight?" He asked, sitting across from me.

"Yeah, but I'm gonna miss you guys." I sighed.

"Well, I'll still be there. Your dad's my best friend, I'm your godfather. Your dads just not gonna be here every day, but I'll be over at your house a lot. Don't worry Pumpkin." He gave me a hug, and I sighed, relaxing into it, he gently rubbed my back.

"Thanks Chris."

"You're welcome, I'm pretty sure someone brought cake." He added, and a smile spread over my face. "Cutie." He laughed a bit, then moved to sit by my side, and wrapped an arm around my shoulders. I let my head rest on his shoulder, and he took a picture. Chris stood up from the mattress, and took my hand, pulling me up as well. "Let's go find you cake." He whispered, and I giggled, following his downstairs, still holding his hand.

"Ah! My daughter and my brother!" Lin smiled, seeing the two of us come into the room. "A, I saved you a slice of cake." My dad handed me a corner slice of a Costco sheet cake, on a paper plate, along with a fork.

"Oh! Thanks, you didn't have to do that." I told him.

"Actually I did." He laughed a bit, and pointed to the table, where Thayne sat with three pieces of cake.

"Oh, well, thanks." I shrugged, and took a bite.

"How're you holding up man?" Chris asked Lin.

"Good. I'm good. How are you?"

"I'll miss you." He shrugged, "but other than that, good."

"I know it's a little pre-mature, but, would you like to come over for dinner tomorrow night?" Lin asked, and Chris laughed. "I know I haven't left yet, but that day apart's gonna be rough."

"I'd love to," Chris gave Lin a smile, "see Pumpkin," he turned to me, "we won't be apart for very long." He tousled my very lightly curled hair.

"That's true." Lin laughed, "Chris'll always be somewhere nearby, Peanut."

"Mmhm, I hope you know that Abigail. I'll always be a phone call away." He smiled at me, and I returned the smile, feeling loved.

•••