Chapter XLV

I guess I shouldn't be too surprised that Bella and Edward went off to Florida the next weekend without even thinking of inviting me. I mean, I didn't have the best relationship with my mother, but that didn't mean that I never wanted to see her. Still, Bella and Edward being gone meant that Jake and I could enjoy time together, no leeches to interrupt us.

Or at least that's what I had thought.

The redheaded leech was back, stronger than ever and dancing around the guys like never before. Jake was skipping school again, running patrol during the day. He came home for a few moments when I was out of class, but only to remind me to be safe and run on the treadmills, not outside.

Run? Yeah right; I could barely breathe with my ribs as they were. Still, it always made me laugh; I was taking Leah with me to the gym now. There was no way that I was in any danger. But God did it feel good to get back there. I hadn't told anyone about my ribs; it would only make everyone worry and probably get me kicked out of the gym that I had only just gotten back to.

Nate spent most of his time staring at Leah, which only made me laugh. She didn't say much, just stood at the bag, throwing strong but inaccurate punches at a steady pace. I was in the ring sparing with Frank, trying to ignore the pain in my ribs, when Nate tapped my shoulder. I wheeled around to punch him, stopping short as I felt the pull in my ribs.

"What do you want?" I panted.

"Convince her to spar with me," he begged.

"Why don't you try talking to her before punching her," I suggested, resting my hand on my hips.

"She keeps running from me. You know her Ryanne," he said.

"Nate, I barely know you. Figure this out yourself, man," I said. Nate sighed. "Leah wouldn't listen to me even if I begged, Nate. You'll have to get her to listen to you. Just don't corner her," I said. He nodded and turned away.

"You almost ready to head back, Lee?" I called.

She nodded, still attacking her bag with abandon. I sat patiently until she stopped and untaped her hands. She joined me then, knowing that I already had her things. As always, she phased and ran home, avoiding the areas that would cause problems. I drove to my dad's and sat in the house, enjoying the silence for a little while before Dad showed up. Just like we used to, we sat on the couch, talking and munching away. The phone rang, but Dad didn't move.

"Swan residence?"

"When are you coming back?" Jake asked from the other end.

"When my Dad says that I can leave," I replied.

"Everything okay?"

"Yeah; I was just wondering; the redhead took off towards town."

"Is everyone okay?"

"Yeah; just hurry back, okay?" I nodded, although he couldn't see me. "I'll be back from patrol around seven. You'll be home before that, right?"

"I should be. I'll talk to my dad and try to get home soon, okay?"

"Yeah, that sounds good. I'll see you soon."

"Bye, Jake."

"Love you."

I dropped the phone back onto the hook and padded my way back to the couch.

"Jake worried about something?" he asked as I handed him a beer.

"Jake's always worried, Dad. He just wants me to be safe. It's the driving, you know? It gets to both of us," I said. Dad just nodded.