Chapter XLVI: Jacob's Point of View

I crashed down on my bed, hearing the wooden joints creak and moan as I settled on it. As stupid as it sounded, I had grown to love my little bed. Not only did it force Annie to sleep a little closer to me, but she left her scent on the entire bed. I sighed, wishing that Charlie had just let her move down here. I guess beggars couldn't really be choosers. It was amazing enough that he was letting her spend all her nights and weekends down here. But leaving her in Forks during the afternoon was killing me.

What if something happened?

I dropped my phone on the ground beside me to stare up at the wooden panelling of our ceiling. I could fix the bedroom door. That would probably make Annie's day. She always complained about me sneaking peeks when she was getting dressed. I was a Spirit Warrior; didn't make me any less of a teenage boy. Still, she wanted the door to get fixed and it was the least I could do. I sighed, looking over at the bright green display on the analog clock. She had to come home soon, didn't she?

Oh good Lord this was getting stupid. I was more whipped than the guys had ever thought. Things that I had always been okay with letting her do were suddenly way too dangerous. Especially after Leah had gotten to her ribs. God, I should kill that little bitch. Didn't she understand what Annie had been trying to do? But no; I was so whipped that I was ignoring the obvious pain my imprint was in because she wanted me to understand what the bitch was going through.

And with the exception of the Sam fiasco, I did understand what Leah was feeling. I knew what it felt like to lose someone that you loved, a parent. It was the hardest thing that I had ever gone through. And if Annie hadn't been there to throw a rope down and pull me out of my self-pity hole, I don't know what would've become of me. So I could see where Leah needed her. Still, she'd hit my imprint.

I grabbed my phone in my hand, trying her cell, but getting nothing. This girl was going to make me happier than I'd ever been, or kill me in the process.

"Swan residence?"

"When are you coming back?" I asked impatiently. It wasn't like any of this was her fault, but she was the only who I could get angry at.

"When my dad says I can leave. Everything okay?" I could hear her laughing at me. But she needed to understand. That little vamp was leading us up and down the coast, always managing to slip through our fingers.

"Yeah, I was just wondering; the redhead took off towards town," I replied. At least that was the last that I had heard. Paul was chasing her with all his might.

Leah was showering after her workout at the gym. She had calmed down a lot since Annie had first taken her there. We could never guarantee that a leech was going to cross our path or that Leah would be there to kill it. But the bag was always there; it always gave her a place to vent.

She was nicer in her human form, but in wolf form, she was gone. She would sing to herself, recite words that none of us knew Leah knew; anything to distract herself. All of us were curious, but the new, less bitchy Leah was too sweet to give up. So none of us asked.

"Is everyone okay?"

"Yeah, just hurry back, okay?" There was silence on the other end. One day, she would learn that I couldn't see when she was nodding. "I'll be back from patrol around seven. You'll be home before that, right?"

"I should be. I'll talk to my dad and try to get home soon, okay?" I loved that my home was her home; that she didn't refer to that leech infested hole as her home. It made me think of all the years that we could share here.

"Yeah that sounds good. I'll see you soon."

"Bye Jake," she laughed.

"Love you," I called back before she hung up. I sighed heavily. I could fix the door... Or I could go find out what was up with Leah. Didn't Annie say she needed a friend? Yeah, definitely a good plan.