Many Questions, Zero Answers

I didn't remember much about the rest of the night. The doctor made a special home visit and suggested I take Benadryl. The allergy medication would act as a sedative and be safe for the baby, she said.

I took one and passed out.

When I woke, Sarah was next to me, holding my hand. Our palms were sweaty and we were on our sides, facing each other. My mouth felt the opposite of my hand, dry and scratchy, and I smacked my lips.

"Hey," she whispered.

I squirmed to sitting, wiping my hand on the sheet. "Did they find him? What's going on?"

Sarah sighed and rose, then helped me to stand.

"No. He hasn't been found."

I gulped in a few breaths. "What time is it?"

"Nine."

I picked up my phone and dialed Caleb's number. If only he'd pick up. Surely he'd answer me this morning. Voicemail. Dammit! I couldn't help but see an odd look in Sarah's glance.

"Why are you looking at me like that?" I hissed at her. "Are you not telling me something?"

"No, Em," she said softly. "There's nothing to tell, unfortunately."

Now crying, I wandered to the living room, where Colin, Laura, and a handful of people from their company had gathered.

"No news?"

Colin, who was still in the shorts and T-shirt he'd worn when he arrived hours earlier, shook his head. "Come in here," he said, putting his hand on my shoulder and guiding me to the office.

He shut the door and pointed at the sofa. I sat down and rubbed my eyes, noticing the crusty remnants of sleep and tears in my eyelashes. My eyeballs felt like they'd been rubbed raw with a stone.

Colin sat next to me and sighed. "My parents caught the earliest flight to Brazil. We're trying to find a competent PI."

"I can't believe this," I whispered. "What could have happened to him? Do you think he was kidnapped?"

Colin inhaled sharply. "It's a definite possibility, I guess. Although it seems odd we haven't received a ransom message or call."

I nodded. "Do you think he would have gone off by himself or with someone? And then gotten into trouble? Would he go out with a woman?" At this point I was willing to entertain the possibility my husband had spent time with someone else. All I wanted was him home, safe, and we'd deal with everything else later.

"No," Colin said quickly, his voice dropping to a sweet tone, one I'd never heard. "My gut tells me no. My brother's the most honorable man I know. He wouldn't do that to you."

With tears spilling over my bottom lashes, I looked into Colin's ice blue eyes. "You're not just saying that?"

He swallowed hard and shook his head. "I've traveled all over with Caleb, including when he was single. God knows I tried to get him to do some crazy shit. He's really careful when he travels. Even before he met you, he wasn't the kind of man who would pick up a random woman in a foreign country. He never did it even in Orlando, which is why it was surprising the way you two met."

I managed a little smile, thinking of how I'd spotted Caleb at Story Brothel, looking self-assured, like he was above everything. How he'd quickly charmed me with his grin. How he'd made me laugh. "We had a soul connection," I said softly.

Colin took my hand and squeezed. "I know. We're going to find him, okay? We have to. Let's stay positive."

I inhaled and nodded. "Maybe I should go to Brazil to help look for him," I said.