49-Through the Dark

Oh my gods GUYSS this book is at 200K reads oh Merlin thank you so so much!

This means so much to me and just reading through your kind comments in the last chapter and all the others just makes my heart swell with pride and happiness.

I think I'm dragging this story out too much, so I'm trying to make things go faster. Also, since I haven't updated in weeks, here's a 3000-word chapter to make up for it. Enjoyy

The second the sun ducked under the horizon, the world was thrown into blackness.

It wasn't possible. The moon was still supposed to be glowing, and the last rays of sunlight should've still been reaching towards the sky.

But psych, you're blind now.

Well, the Quidditch Pitch was still in flames, so that provided some light.

It was winter solstice, the longest night of the year. It was obvious Nyx was going to rise at this time, on the same day as Circe's wedding, so at least they'd had some time to prepare.

The wizards were definitely still undertrained in terms of physical combat, but at least they could run a mile before falling on their face and avoid stabbing themselves.

Once the sun had nearly gone down, the monsters had tensed up, and didn't seem eager to stay anymore.

"Just wanted some dinner," one empousa had said to another. "I don't want to be here when that primordial rises." The other vampire girl nodded.

And they'd just slithered away into the Forest, just like that. Many followed.

There were a few that still stayed. Hermione had run off to find Harry and Ron, and Percy and Leo were still outide fighting the remaining monsters. Then they heard panicked shouts coming from another side of the castle.

The two looked at each other, then ran towards the screams.

Then Leo nearly tripped over a student, and yelped as he crazily danced away to avoid the fingers. Percy dropped down to help as Leo fell over.

"Alive," Percy said. He didn't see who it was, and couldn't tell what House, either. The scarf looked like a simple brown. Percy couldn't use ambrosia for wizards, and he dropped Riptide to slap their cheeks. Leo worriedly scrambled over.

The person—a boy—gasped and said, "Is...it dead?"

"What? Look, it can wait. Where are you hurt?"

Leo lit a small fire so they could see better. It was Ernie Macmillan. A corroded and destroyed bronze sabre was next to him. He raised a weak hand, but couldn't seem to move anything else.

There were two gash marks on his chest, and his skin looked greenish. The scarf had been striped, but every inch of it was now bathed in red.

Percy paled and looked helplessly at Leo, who looked just as powerless.

It was too late, anyway. Ernie was dead.

"Come on," Leo managed. "There's burn marks all over this grass, and they're not from me. Let's go find this beast."

They found it all right. It was a gigangic leopard that sprayed toxic fumes from its mouth.

Ellis Wakefield, son of Ares from Camp Half-Blood, was sprawled on the floor, very much dead.

"Bubble-head Charms!" a voice yelled at them.

Blaise Zabini was fighting the leopard with three Slytherins and two Hufflepuffs. Blaise blasted a hex, briefly lighting up the battle, and the two demigods saw that they all had bubbles of air around their mouthes.