32

Wow, It has been a wild ride.

This is the final chapter of Smokescreen.

Thank you so much to everyone who has read, voted, commented and messaged me about this book. I appreciate you all so so much. I had no idea anyone would be interested in what started in my head as a single scene between Alec and Adelaide and grew into a multi chaptered book.
Writing this was a way for me to escape from real life for a moment, so thank you for allowing me to do that every time any of you interacted with me, or the characters. 

Book 2 will begin the moment Season 2 starts airing, I already know where I want Adelaide's story to go, but in order to do that I have to see where the show takes the other characters (Alec especially) first. 

I'll update this book when the Second Book is published, so it can be added to your libraries if you wish :) 

This chapter is also twice as long as a normal chapter because I know I haven't updated in awhile...I've been dreading ending it, sorry!

Also, unedited as usual. I'll go back and edit eventually ahaha.

Please let me know what you think!

So again, thank you for reading.

xo

*****

'We should go.'

Adelaide hated having to break the quiet spell of comfort that had settled over them. She could practically hear Alec blaming himself internally for Jace's actions and she hated it. But even more, she hated Valentine for what he was putting her family through.

Alec heaved out a long sigh, straightening himself up from his slumped position, blinking dazedly as though he had forgotten where they were.

'Yeah, I know.'

Adelaide pulled herself to her feet again, and after a moment of hesitation Alec did the same. 'Any idea where they all went?'

'I have a few ideas.' Adelaide admitted. 'I know Isabelle would have found a way to get past Raphael, but there are only a few places they could safely take Camille, and even fewer where Camille would willingly go.'

'Magnus.' Alec realised.

Adelaide nodded, 'I'll call him, just to be sure.'

Alec waited as Adelaide pushed her phone against her ear, listening to the familiar ringing.

'And to what do I owe the pleasure?'

'Magnus.' Adelaide's lips twisted up in amusement at Magnus' snarky greeting. 'I'm guessing your mood pertains to a certain vampires arrival?'

'You guess correctly. Your other friends are here, safe and unharmed.'

Adelaide let out a breath she didn't know she had been holding. 'Thank Raziel.'

'I expect you'll be arriving soon?'

'Yeah, Alec and I will be there shortly.'

'Very well, see you soon.'

Adelaide shoved her phone back into her pocket, and turned to face Alec. 'They're with Magnus, Camille's with them.'

'Great.' Sarcasm coloured Alec's tone as his own phone rang shrilly.

'Izzy... yeah we're on our way... Adelaide spoke to Magnus... Yes- I'm fine.'

Adelaide raised an eyebrow at Alec's sharp reply as he hung up the phone.

'What was that about?'

'Isabelle calling for backup.' Alec shrugged. 'We should go.'

Adelaide caught Alec's arm as he began to walk away. 'Hey, wait-'

Alec gave her a questioning look, turning to face her again. 'What-?'

His words were cut off as Adelaide reached up and covered his mouth with her own, tangling her hands in Alec's dark hair. After a startled moment, his hands slid into her own dark tresses. Adelaide tugged on Alec's hair, eliciting a small groan of pleasure from his mouth.