The dance

Mateo's P.O.V.

I stared at myself at the mirror. Good enough, I decided. Mom was away as usual and Maxine was in her room getting ready since Louise asked her to be his date for the dance.

Maxine practically jumped 30ft. up in the air. After her little celebratory fest, she dragged me all around the mall and forced me to carry all her bags. And in all my years that I have spent with Maxine , never, and I mean never, have I was forced to carry so many bags. It was literally the size of Mt. Everest!

My poor arms are still sore from carrying it all. She better be thankful that I put up with her or I might as well have left her there. And it was really tempting.

"Mateo, come over!" Maxine shouted from her room.

I adjusted my tie once more and went to her. She was fixing her hair and her face was perfectly applied with the right amount of make up. Her black dress was void of wrinkles.

 Her black dress was void of wrinkles

"Mateo, can you please help me to put this on?" She asked handing me a familiar necklace

It was her mother's.

I placed it around her neck and locked it

I placed it around her neck and locked it." Done."

"Thanks Mateo." She smiled.

"Anytime Maxie."

The sound of the doorbell echoed around the house. I draw the curtains a bit and saw Louise waiting outside. I turned to Maxine." Come on, he's here."

She nodded and grabbed her handbag and we went down the stairs. We decided that Maxine would ride with Louise and I'll drive behind them. And since Emma lives at the palace, I don't have to pick her up.

At the dance with Emma.

Mom and dad greeting the guests and Hugo is playing with some other kids. Carressa and Carlos were dancing along with some other people. Where are Mateo and Louise and his date? They better not be late.

Just then I felt a tap on my shoulder. I jumped and spun around. Mateo stared back at me with his beautiful smile. I smiled back and trapped him in a huge hug.

"You made it!"

"You think that I'd bail on you?"

I shook my head." Just worried that you'll be late , my mom closes the gates so unwelcome visitors won't enter."

He nodded." You look beautiful tonight."

I blushed." Thank you Mateo."

"So you're Mateo." A familiar voice said behind me. Oh no.

Dad was looking at Mateo with narrowed eyes and his face void of emotions. This can't be good. Dad please go easy on him.

Mateo nodded." Yes I am sir."

Dad looked at me." Excuse me Mateo, but I want to have a word with you. In private."

I shook my head but dad nodded his.

Mateo nodded and followed him to the other side of the room. I sighed and drank the cold ice tea that was served out for people under 18. The rest got champagne.

Maxine and Louise were now dancing while Carressa and Carlos were catching a break. I looked at mom and saw she was distracted by something in the window. I carefully made my way over to her.

"Mom?"

She jumped and placed a hand over her heart." Emma, don't do that."

"Im sorry , mom are you okay?" I asked with full concern.

"I'm fine, I thought I just saw- nothing, just have fun. I have to go to the guards to check on something."

"Do you want me to go with you?"

She smiled and hugged me gently." I'll be fine, and shouldn't you be with your date?"

I shook my head." Dad is interrogating him."

She sigh." That's your father alright."

She smiled one more time at me before she went out to the direction of the security room. Why do I have a bad feeling about this? I looked around for Mateo and saw him still talking with dad. That's it. I walked over to them.

I tapped on dad's shoulder.

"Dad can I have him back now?"

He looked at me and I did my best kitty eyes." Paw-les?"

He sighed." Fine."

He kissed my forehead and went to talk to Grandma and Grandpa.

"So...." I turned to Mateo." What did my dad tell you?"

He shook his head." Nothing, but just know, your dad is scary when he wants to be."

I giggled and playfully punched his arm.

With Marinette ~

I replayed all of the cameras just to make sure that it wasn't hallucinations. I swear that I saw Lila. But it couldn't be. Could it?

A.N. I own nothing.