Chapter 15 : His Demons.

"Forever is nothing but a myth. Nothing lasts forever."
- Anonymous.

Sebastian was sitting, alone on the stone cold floor, in the quiet of his dark room. Everything just seemed darker inside-out to him, like there was no point in finding the light. Like there was no point in anything.

The woman's name was Samantha. Her parents had died a month ago and she had no one else to help her. No one to take care of her. She had no place to live. Sebastian had arranged a house for her down the same street, and left her there, assured that she was safe.

He tried to save himself from the things inside him. The things that were breaking everything piece by piece inside him. But then he thought, did he even deserve to be saved? And was there anyone to save him from his own regrets?

That woman had been so much like Charisma.

So much like her.

But Charisma had died. And it was all his fault.

He let his head fall in his hands as he couldn't hold back the tears anymore. Her thoughts had tortured him enough for a year after her death, and then every winter they came back to him, reminding him of what he could've done. He could've saved her.

"I'm sorry." He whispered, and silence answered him. He let the pain consume him.

Adela limped into her room and closed the door behind her. She was still trying to comprehend what had just happened. What she'd just done.

In a daze, she stepped out of her shoes and let her dress fall down, so that she was only in her corsets. Then she sat onto her bed and gathered into herself, tightly hugging her knees.

And then she sobbed. She sobbed for the woman she couldn't help. Sobbed for the horrified look she'd had when Christian was screaming at her. Sobbed at her own self, who had just stood there, stood there, and watched everything happen.

Sobbed because she'd just spoiled everything.

She was the bad guy now. She was on the bad side. Because she knew she should've stopped Christian. Should've smacked him across the face, but she didn't. Now she couldn't do anything.

All the realisation hit her at once, and she was sobbing harder then. She bit onto her lower lip to keep herself quiet. She was cold, and she let herself feel the misery.

The misery that all her people were feeling outside and she was doing nothing.

Sebastian's face kept coming back to her like a nightmare. The way he'd looked at her when she'd slapped him. The way he was pleading her to stop Christian. She knew he was on the right side. But she was a stupid, stupid Princess.

She was no better than the others.

You don't know her.

The words still kept repeating themselves in her mind. She realised just then that Sebastian was right. She had been too stupid to open up to Sebastian, but she did open up. With Christian, she was a whole new person. A person she wouldn't ever want to be her.