8. A New Dawn

Romero estate, Italy.

Patricia stood anxiously behind her husband as men from both the families raised their weapons against the other. Sean had pushed her behind him as soon as Bernard Romero had declared for war.

"Oh God! No!",she cried to herself, knowing that even one bullet fired from either of the sides would bring with it a war where many powerful families would clash. Their most trusted allies would be bound by their oaths to retaliate against the one who had brought harm to their Don's family.

Patricia knew this would happen despite her husband's reassurances, the Romero's and the Sullivan's were bound together....... by hatred for each other, a legacy which was passed from one generation to next, no questions asked.

Just when she thought that bullets were going to be exchanged between the two parties,an unexpected voice was heard from the doorway.

"Nonno?"

Patricia peaked from behind her husband to see who had entered the meeting room and was astounded to notice a child standing there.

Sparkling amethyst eyes, blonde hair and fair skin.....she was the same girl whose picture she carried with herself since the day she was informed of her existence.

"Lower your weapons",she heard Rickard Romero order in a harsh voice.As if in a trance, Patricia stepped forward towards Amara, coming in her line of sight.

"Amara?",she asked softly, not daring to believe this unexpected turn of event.

Amara who had been staring at Bernard Romero the whole time, turned around and Patricia took another step forward, the men in the room too shocked to intervene.

"Amara,is that you?", she asked again.

The child finally looked at her and a beautiful smile lit up her face as she exclaimed,"Grandma!" .

In that moment Patricia felt as if a long forgotten prayer of hers had just been answered.

Before another word could be exchanged, Amara ran towards her and hugged her knees,smiling up at her she greeted, "Hello Grandma Pat."

Surprised at the way she was addressed, knowing that the Romero's wouldn't have mentioned the Sullivan's in any way Patricia slowly knelt on the ground in front of the child.

"Yes, I am your grandma Patricia. How do you know about me little one?", she asked curiously.

"Daddy", she replied back simply.

Patricia felt another presence next to her before she heard Sean's gentle voice,"Hello, my little flower I'm your grandpa Sean."

"Hello grandpa", she said, now appearing shy.

Before things could escalate any further, Bernard Romero addressed Amara,"Child, what are you doing here? Did you not like the theme park?".

As if suddenly remembering something, she turned and shook her head.

"No,nonno. I wanted to go there with you",she replied sweetly.

"I promised you that I would take you there sometime later princess and I will, you should have stayed with your aunt. But for now you need to go back to your room",he told her before turning to one of the guard,"Pietro take her."