eight: what did i get myself into?

"I had no idea you had a car." I said once we reached her vehicle. She pressed the button on her key, unlocking her car then smiled at me. I raised my eyebrow, confused as to why she was looking at me like that. She needs to stop. It's making my stomach and chest hurt. Damn it, I'm hungry.

"You drive?" She asked me, popping her trunk open after. She set her backpack into her trunk, gesturing me to do the same, so I did.

I shrugged,"I have my permit. My parents haven't really had the time to take me out and teach me. My brother and sister do, though." I shrugged again, shutting the trunk for her. The next thing I see, are her keys flying in the air and I quickly reach for it.

I caught it in my hand, looking at her with furrowed eyebrows."You can drive." She walked past me, patting me on my back shortly before getting into that passenger seat. I stared at the keys for a second, shaking my head after then made my way to the driver's seat.

I turned her car on, feeling a little cool because I knew this car was way faster than my brother's and sister's car. It may be an older car, but the engine had higher horsepower. I shook my head, I need to stop listening on the conversations my father and brother have about cars. I also need to stop listening to Kenny when he talks about how fast his car is compared to my brother's.

I gripped the steering wheel, glancing at Dorelys before reversing out of the parking spot. I did my best, honestly, I was trying my best, not to go over speed limit. You have no idea how bad I wanted to just slam on the gas pedal. But I knew I could get stopped, leading me to getting a ticket then getting another ticket because I don't have a license, only a permit. I think that's how the system works.

"Do you really drive this slow?" I glanced at her, slowly stopping at the red light. She nodded, her arms crossed as she looked at me with a raised eyebrow.

"No." I mumbled, looking back at the red light and waited.

"Then drive as if you're alone. Don't hold back." She told me, a small laugh escaping her lips as she brushed her hair back after letting it go from it's braid. I let out a puff of air, looking at the red light for another minute before it changed to green. I shrugged to myself, slamming on the gas pedal.

It wasn't until I came to another red light when I slammed on the brakes, trying to stop before the line. I smiled, looking over at Dorelys and finding her looking at me incredulously. I furrowed my eyebrows,"What? You told me not to hold back."

"Yeah. But I never said try and kill me."

"I like going fast." I told her, deciding this time to just drive a little over speed limit."And I wasn't going to kill you."

She huffed, a small smile on her lips though. Once we arrived at the mall's parking lot, she told me,"Park by the theater." I nodded, looking around for a parking spot. Once I did, we got out of the car and made our way inside."We're going to Forever 21 first. I need some new shirts and some jeans."

I furrowed my eyebrows,"I thought you were looking for a dress for Homecoming?"

She nodded, humming quietly as I followed her into the store."I am. But I need shirts and jeans. We're at the mall already, might as well take advantage that I am." I should've said no. This is what I get for not listening to Normani and Dinah.

It was probably an hour later –after her picking a shirt then her asking me if she would look good with it on– when we finally went to pay for her the things she chose. I was tired, really tired, my arms were hurting because she was making me carry the things she picked out. She had asked me to carry one shirt, then it eventually led to her just handing it all to me. I set myself up.