━ forty-six: the odd wound out

CHAPTER FORTY-SIX

THE ODD WOUND OUT

✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪

     EARLY IN THE MORNING, Briar had departed from the bedroom she was sharing with Ginny and Fleur, planning to sit downstairs before it got hectic with everyone celebrating Christmas Day. Briar had imprints of fabric on her skin, from where Briar had fallen asleep crying into Fleur's jumper. It had taken a lot of warm water to remove the marks, especially the ones on her cheek. But, eventually, it had worked, and she quietly sat down and read one of the newspapers lying around until it got a little bit later.

     Briar had quietly walked into the kitchen, and laid out the Christmas cards she had made in the couple of days she had stayed with her mum and youngest brother, when she found out they were spending Christmas in America, and her dad had been spending a lot of his free time infiltrating groups of werewolves around the country. Apparently, they all believed Voldemort would make things better for them. Suckers.

     She had gotten so fixated in preparing for the upcoming terms as a teacher that she hadn't found the time to get Christmas presents for everyone. She had forced herself to abandon the lesson-planning to get gifts for her dad and the twins and her brothers and Fleur. Laurel had told Briar not to worry about her, so she had gotten a salute and a card, and Briar had placed Teddy's present in the trunk they were taking with them.

     For a while, though, when it was still early and everyone was too tired to go downstairs, Briar sat downstairs. She felt a lot more comfortable in the house, after spending hours upon hours helping Fleur and Molly with the wedding preparations. She sat at the table in silence, the pile of Christmas cards sitting in front of her. She was yet to give out the presents she had, but that was because she couldn't find them when she snuck out of the bedroom, and she didn't want to make any noise and wake up Ginny and Fleur.

     There were footsteps. Briar looked up, frowning, and sighed when she saw Harry. He looked just as surprised that she was downstairs already, and she smiled at him. "Merry Christmas, Harry," Briar said. "Is everyone up, then?"

    "Don't think so," said Harry. "I came downstairs to get some water, and let Ron react to Lavender's present in private."

     Briar raised an eyebrow. "Is it a home movie, or something?"

     "Um, no," he replied. The frown on his face made Briar decide that he didn't know what she was on about. How innocent. Bless. "She got him a necklace that has my sweetheart attached to the chain."