30 / fourteen days before

The days following the state championships were all spent in celebration. The basketball team, along with the whole school and city, had been high off the win, and Faust and Theo walked the halls that treated them as kings.

Stress due to the requirements of our studies was inevitable though, and because I was working on the paper with the staff as well, I'd been busy enough to subtly avoid Nico after the stunt I'd pulled last Saturday. Aside from the meetings in biology and two lunch breaks during the past week, there had been no time to speak with him at all.

And though I was grateful he wasn't bringing it up, I could tell he wanted to by the teasing glint in his eyes whenever he sat beside me in class and stared at me for the hour instead of listening to Mr. Finch.

It was as unnerving as it was exciting.

Foolishly, I was hoping for Nico to come to the dance tonight, but that was a big 'if'. I didn't even know if Faust was coming as my date—which was what we'd agreed upon when we were still together—and I was too afraid and embarrassed to ask.

In a span of an hour and a half, my makeup had been done alongside my hair at the salon earlier with Sutton. The brown waves fell over one shoulder in simple curls, and my face had a natural glow that I'd consider pretty. I put on a simple pair of pearl earrings before dressing—the color was an elegant black, the upper half a plunging V-neck that ended just above my belly button with the back bare, save for the crisscross of the thin straps, and the skirt was of tulle fabric with a slit along my thigh. I was carefully slipping it on, together with a pair of black heels when there was a brief knock on my door followed by the appearance of my brother in a tuxedo.

I stood upright, and Theo's eyes grew wide, a smile gracing his handsome face. "You look amazing, sis."

I grinned. "Thank you. You look dashing, too."

He stepped closer and held out a hand. "Do it for me?"

Taking the necktie, I spun him around by the shoulders, almost at level with his height due to the heels I wore. I raised the collars of his dress shirt and placed the tie around his neck. "Are you taking someone?"

My brother scoffed. "Nah. Didn't feel like it. Is Carter picking you up?"

My hands froze for a moment. I promised myself I was going to tell Theo soon, but I couldn't find the right time to do it yet. Although there were already whispers and speculations about my breakup with Faust, both of us never spoke up. Let the people say what they wanted to say, they didn't have a right to know—Theo did. "Think so."

He hummed. I spun him around again. I smiled at my handiwork and tapped his chest. "You're good to go."

"Thanks." Theo leaned over and gave me a quick hug. "I'll see you later at the dance."

I sat on the dresser and stared at my reflection for a few minutes, wondering if I should've gone with a lighter shade of lipstick and gloss instead when the phone on my bed chimed with a text and pulled me out from my internal conflict. It was from Faust. forgot to tell you. won't be coming to the dance. not a problem, right?

I sighed, already wishing I'd left with my brother. no, not a problem. take care.

have fun. :) you too.

I finished the final touches of my hair and makeup. Glancing at the mirror one last time, I grabbed my purse and prayed that my father didn't have anything important scheduled for tonight and that he would lend me his car. With my eyes locked onto my feet, I took careful steps down the stairs. "Dad, can I—"

"Thea!" my mother's voice exclaimed, and I looked up, my lips slightly parting at the sight in front of me.

Nico Romero was standing in the middle of my living room at the bottom of the stairs, dressed in a simple tuxedo with a bow tie around his neck. His raven-colored hair was pushed back cleanly, emphasizing the brightness of his eyes that without shame, looked at me from head to toe. His mouth tipped up a bit by the corner once his eyes found mine again.