Chapter Twenty

One month later....

"Oh m'lady! Ye must try it on!" Kitty exclaimed.

"I know! Stephen it's beautiful!" Ginny exclaimed, twirling around, pressing the dress against herself.  Its satin white fabric tickled her legs.  She would look like a swan in it, graceful and beautiful. "I love it."

"I knew you would." he nodded, looking her up and down.  "You can go ahead and try it on if you like."

"No, that's alright. I don't want to soil it before the ball." Ginny said, gently placing it back in its box to Kitty's disappointment. She wrapped the tissue paper around it before firmly closing the lid.  She noticed another dress box sitting in the corner. "Who is that for?"

"I...I bought one for Rosamaria as well..." he explained carefully.

Ginny stiffened slightly at the sound of her sister's name, "Oh.

Kitty laid a comforting hand on her shoulder. Ginny smiled at her gratefully.

"Would you like to see that one as well?" he offered.

"No." she said suddenly.  She shook her head. "I don't want to remember anything about her."

She gathered up the dress box in her arms and marched towards the stairs with Kitty trailing after her, already chatting about the ball and how exciting it would be.  She carefully placed the box on her bed and stepped away from it.  She was itching to try on the dress, but she would get to see it on herself later tonight.  She needed to be patient.

"Ye can still try it on if ye wish, m'lady." Kitty said as if reading her mind.

"No, that's alright. I'll get to wear it soon enough." Ginny smiled at her friend.

Kitty sighed, "Very well. Oi'll go make the tea." She said hurrying off to the kitchens.

Ginny's fingers itched to touch the dress's soft fabric and to let it float over her body. But she refrained. It was difficult to do when she still had five hours until the ball started.  Not that she was excited for it. She hated going to balls.  They were always so crowded and loud...but she was kind of looking forward to dancing with Stephen.  She sighed, imagining what it would be like to be in his arms, spinning around the floor with him.  She was also slightly worried. Maybe he didn't want to dance. Maybe she would only get to stand and watch and wish she was dancing with him. 

"Is something wrong? You do like the dress, don't you?" Stephen's voice startled,  making her jump.

She lifted a trembling hand to smooth out the fabric of her skirt and laughed, "You frightened me. I didn't hear you come in."

He came over, tilting her chin up with his finger, studying her face, "Why do you look worried? It's the dress, isn't it? You don't like it?"

"No, no I love it." Ginny laughed nervously. "It's beautiful, really."

"Then what is it?" He asked.

"Nothing, it was silly." Ginny started to slip past him, trying to get away.

He grabbed her arm, "This matters to me. I want you to be happy."

Her spirits lifted slightly at that. He wanted her to be happy? He actually cared?  Ginny shrugged and studied her fingers bashfully, "Will you...will you dance with me tonight?"

Relief fell across his face, "That's all you were concerned about? Of course I'm going to dance with my wife."

"That was a ridiculous question, wasn't it?" Ginny smiled awkwardly, twisting her fingers.