Chapter 19

Jules sighed as she drove into the Thompson's house that Saturday. That morning she was had been about to call Selene but Ceaser had called her and informed her his parents were excited to have them over and she needn't ask. So, she cancelled park time with Ivy and drove over to the Thompson's.

She picked Ivy up from her car seat from inside the car and adjusted her on her hip then closed the door and made her way to the front door. Selene was waiting for her there with a smile on her face.

"Oh, my goodness." She placed her palms on either side of her face "Eric! They're here." Selene cried out and Jules just smiled at her excitement and Ivy bounced in her arms when she saw Selene.

"Hello," Jules said smiling at the older woman.

"Welcome Jules, we were expecting you sooner," Selene said as she launched for a smiling Ivy who immediately stretched out her tiny hands towards Selene to be picked up.

And just like that, Jules was forgotten. She might as well leave.

Selene was saying different things to Ivy even Jules couldn't understand.

Was she speaking baby?
Jules thought.
Sofi's got competition.

"Come on in Jules." Selene said, "How have you been?"

"I've been doing alright."

"That's good. I've been missing this cutie over here." Selene smiled down at Ivy.

Wait! Why was she jealous of her own daughter?
She was the worst mother ever.

"Welcome, Jules. We've been expecting you." Eric walked into the living room

"That's what Selene tells me. Sorry, we're late, there was a bit of traffic." She gave Eric a hug.

"Traffic and this weather are two things that shouldn't mix."

"Yea, tell me about it, and I couldn't turn the AC on because of Ivy. She doesn't like it." Jules said as she remembered the many times she had turned the car AC on and Ivy had had a fit about it. She had cried the entire ride while Jules had tried to figure out what the problem was then she caught on after a while and had never turned the AC on when Ivy was in the car.

"Ugh! I understand. Ceaser was the same when he was a child." Eric said, "Hated the darned thing."

Jules smiled imagining Ceaser as a child.

"Some kids are like that."

Jules nodded
"I don't think I can take more of this heat."

"You never know what might become of it. The weather becomes unpredictable this time of the year."

He was right!
She just wished it was no longer this hot.

"I'd ask where Ivy is but I know my wife." He said with a smile "She's probably giving her a cookie or something."

Jules laughed at Eric's certainty and she knew he was right.

"I apologize on behalf of my wife. She gets a little bit carried away when she sees a child. Especially one young enough to be her granddaughter." Eric said.

"A little bit?" Jules asked him.

Eric laughed.
"Well, that little one of yours is too much of a cutie to make room for any more of Selene's attention. Your daughter has got it all. I don't even get a single glimpse from her when Ivy's near her."

Jules smiled.

"She's always wanted a grandchild. Well, both of us have." he said "When Ceaser got married, we always pushed them to make us grandkids. But we lost hope when Bea died."