Read My Lips: Chapter 8

Chapter 8

Thursday night approached quickly and before I knew it, I was waiting outside the school for Zach to arrive so we could go to his house.

Hopefully, his family wouldn’t be in so I wouldn’t have to face talking to them. Because talking to them meant risking the fact I was deaf and having to tell Zach. I knew I had to tell him and I would. When it was crucial.

“Are you ready to go?” Zach asked appearing in front of me.

His sudden appearance made me jump but I nodded my head in reply. I breathed a deep breath as I followed him over to his car. Like a real gentleman, he opened the door and allowed me to get in before he walked around to his side of the car.

The ride to his house was silent. I wasn’t sure if he was talking to me or not but I never said anything. Zach lived in a nice area. The neighbourhood looked nice and friendly.

His house was located at the end of the neighbourhood. The little house was surrounded by a white picket fence and a drive which led up to a garage. It was a two story house with little squares inside the square windows. The house was cute and to be honest, I couldn’t wait to see what it looked like inside.

I followed Zach up the little path laced with flowers and into his house. Copying his actions, I took off my shoes and waited for him to face me. Which he did. The hall way was painted with white walls and a floored with a beige carpet. The walls were bare and held no photographs.

“Is your family in?” I asked him fiddling with my fingers. It was a habit I’d picked up when I was nervous.

“It’s just my mum and I but she isn’t in,” He smiled hanging his coat on the hanger beside him. Zach reached out for my jacket which I removed and handed to him. “Follow me.”

And so I did. He led me up the stairs and to the edge of the hallway where I’m guessing his room was located.

His room, like his hallway, was pretty much bare. In the middle of his room sat a large double bed with a blue comforter. The walls were white and the carpet was a lovely shade of blue. He had a wall TV on the wall in front of his bed with a set of drawers underneath it which had a few game consoles on top. On the floor beside his set of drawers was a variety of game console games scattered around the floor. At each side of his bed were a bedside table. To the right of his bed there were two doors; both open. One was revealed to be his closet as clothes were scattered on the floor as well as been hung up. The other was revealed to be an en-suite bathroom. And in-between those two doors sat a desk which had a laptop placed on it and a variety of folders and books which I assumed were his school stuff.

It was a typical boy’s bedroom that held nothing unexpected.

Zach led me over to his bed where we both sat down facing each other. For some unknown reason, nerves bubbled up inside me making my stomach erupt into butterflies.

“So what are we starting with? The project or the tutoring?” Zach enquired.

“Project. It need to be done sooner,” I began, pulling my notebook from my bag. “So I thinking, we do a PowerPoint each?”

He nodded his head and pulled his own notebook from his bed. I watched him as he got up and made his way over to his desk where he retrieved his laptop. After sitting back down opposite me, he placed the laptop to the right of his leg so the laptop was in a position where we could both see the screen.

After it had loaded, he pulled up a PowerPoint.

“I’m not entirely sure what we’re supposed to do on the presentation.” Zach chuckled, running a hand through his hair and rubbing the back of his neck.