t w e n t y - n i n e

I FELT THE SPARK. And from the look on his face, so did he. I stared up at him, struggling to believe it.

"What was that?" His voice was a mere whisper.

"Nothing," I answered firmly, sitting down on the couch and gesturing him to do the same. "Sit down, Blayze." He sat down, his face full of uncertainty. "Do you know about the agreement Alpha Bronze had with my brother?"

"I did... Kind of. But I didn't know it was an agreement with the Gray Wolves; not until today," he admitted. "In the morning, I asked him - Lucian - about it... He told me what it was."

"And what do you think about it , Blayze?"

"I'm sorry," he apologised. "I'm not too sure what you mean by that."

"What is your opinion on their agreement?" I explained.

"Why would my opinion even matter? I'm just the Beta; a messenger."

"Aren't you the future Alpha?" I asked, frowning slightly. Wasn't the Beta the next in line to become Alpha in the Bronze Pack?

From what Martyn had told me, that was what I had understood about leadership among Brown Wolves. The strongest werewolf would become the Alpha, with the Beta being the next strongest; the Third-in-Command as the next strongest and so on.

When the Alpha or any other high-ranked Brown Wolf fell ill or passed away, the wolf in the position directly ascend to fill the gap. In the case of the Alpha, it would be the Beta who became the new Alpha, with all the positions below him or her shifting accordingly.

Due to this, the name of the Brown Wolf pack was constantly changing. It was named after their Alpha and the variable name was something that they had become accustomed to.

And now, because Lucian Bronze had fallen ill, the pack would soon be under Blayze's guidance.

"That's true," he sighed after a minute. "I guess you're right,Weslyn . My opinion is important, isn't it?"

"What is your opinion?" I asked, watching him carefully for a proper answer.

"I don't remember how I was turned or anything," he told me. "I don't even remember my own family. It was Lucian who brought me up, treating me like his son. I felt as though I was closer than blood. He was the Beta at the time and being so close to him made me feel... Empowered. I looked up to Lucian and even wanted to be like him at one point. But when I was made Third-in -Command, I noticed that Brown Wolves started turning up every single month. I suspected that it had something to do with Lucian. When I confirmed it; I was broken. Not only was he being heartless... But I believed myself to know everything about him and hiding such an agreement, broke my trust. It made me lose all the belief that I had in him."

"So, what you are saying is..."

"I respect Lucian. I respected him... But I never agreed with his values or accepted his agreement with Alpha Grayson."

"Someone like you, who was turned by brute force,would never be able to support that."

"I don't want anyone else to suffer from the fate of a Brown Wolf... I want to end the agreement and coexist with each other."

"But you're not in power," Liam pointed out.

"Not yet," he replied. "But I will. It has been estimated that Lucian will die very soon... Before the next full moon. I will meet with you then, again."

"We'll keep this quiet until then," I agreed. "I look forward to mingling with the Bronze Pack, Blayze."

"Soon to be the Blayze Pack," he murmured. "But same here... Best of luck on being an Alpha. I'm sure you'll do an amazing job."

Blayze stretched out his hand for a handshake and the moment we touched, I felt the spark for a second time. He nodded at Liam and made his way towards the front door.

"What's wrong?" Liam asked, seeing that I was completely frozen, still staring at Blayze as he left.

"It's nothing."

And for the first time in my life, I lied to my mate. I lied to William Moonstone.