Chapter 10: Reid

Braxton and I sat on the stairs, waiting. Brontë and Chester had been in there for a while. Neither of us quite sure whether she'd walk out alive.

"He wouldn't hurt her would he?" Brax asked.

"No." I replied, unsure myself but the poor kid was worried sick. He rubbed his face and ran his hand through his hair again.

"She always retaliates with a comment or insult in bad situations." Brax said.

"Dude, don't." I said. We heard laughing as the door opened.

"Till we meet again, Miss Hernandez." Chester smiled. Brax and I exchanged glances, standing up.

"Can't wait," She replied. "Laters Chester." She walked down the hallway, her small heels loud on the laminate floor. Brax practically flew from the steps and pulled her into a hug.

"You're alright?!" He said.

"Yep. Chester's a great guy, apart from when he's strangling you." She smiled as if it's nothing. She patted her brother's cheek.

"What does he want?"

"Nothing, just a deal."

"What deal?" Braxton asked.

"Something between him and I." Brontë teased. "Braxton. Trust me. Everything is fine." She slipped out of his hug and danced to me. She kissed my lips and smiled at me. "Just fine."

"What deal, Brontë!?" Braxton asked.

"Brax," She laughed, opening the front door and walking outside. "We just agreed he'll leave me alone in exchange for my silence." Brax let out a sigh of relief. "Anyway, it's not like I could do much else."

"Why not?!" I asked.

"Because Chester's sexist." She informed, increasing the volume on her voice so he could hear.

"Geez, you're gonna get yourself killed." Braxton sighed, looking more stressed than he did before.

"Probably. But Chester said he likes a strong woman."

"I wonder if he remembers she seventeen and still a minor?" I wondered to Brax who laughed. We followed her up the path.

"So are you guys attending the party?" She asked.

"Briar's not going."

"Briar's going."

"She's not."

"She is, she here under my responsibility!"

"So you're gonna take her to a party." Braxton asked. "Great way of being responsible."

"Look, Brax, she's smarter than you and a lot sensibler than you as well. Briar could get out of massacre at a frat party unharmed not drugged, not drunk, and you know it. Of course, I will be by her side the entire night."

Brax wasn't completely convinced that Chester would just make a deal like that. I'd ended up leaving the house, Braedon hadn't returned since Brax sent them out earlier that morning. I found Brontë lying down on the rocks, book in her hands above her, ear phones in, and she was mumbling along. I crouched down beside her and took the book off her.

"Oi!" She yelled.

"The Whispers of Willow." I looked at her. She snatched it back.

"What do you want?" She asked.

"That's not a kind way to greet your boyfriend." I replied.

"Whe...oh right." She looked at me but quickly looked away. "Right...sorry."