Demon Whisperer chapter 9

Chapter 9

            When I arrived at my place, Dan was waiting for me at the front door.  He was sitting on the ground, his back to the wall, smoking a cigarette.

            “Dad not home?”

            He shrugged.  “I knocked but no one answered.”

            “Where’ve you been, by the way?”  I asked, as I unlocked the door, and then went in.  Dan followed, plunking himself down onto the sofa.

            “Cooling my heels in hell.”

            “What?” I tossed my bag onto the vacant chair and stared at Dan.

            “Seems someone really wants to screw with you.”  He put his feet up on the table.  “And doesn’t want me around in case I might want to stop him.”

            “Might want to?”

            “Yeah.  I don’t plan ahead, you know.  Who knows what I might do on any given day.”

            I plopped down on the sofa beside him.  “You wouldn’t believe the last couple of days I’ve had.”

            Dan eyed me up and down.  “You look like shit.”

            “Well you probably wouldn’t look too perky after fighting off three zombies raised to kill you.”

            “When did that happen?”

            “The other night.”

            “Bummer.  Is that how you got your hand chewed on?”

            I held up my bandaged hand.  “Nope, I got this trying to pull a pissed-off demon out of a fourteen year old girl.”

            “You’ve had worse.”

            “I lost this one, Dan.”

            That perked Dan up a bit.  “You lost one?”

            “It was a tough sonofabitch. And the worst thing was, it knew me.  Like really knew me.”

            “Do you know who it was?”

            I shook my head.  “Whoever it was wants revenge on me, big time. It jumped bodies, stabbed me with a knife, and fell a few stories from a window.  A few blocks later it jumped bodies again.  I don’t know who it’s occupying now.”
            “Wow. That’s messed up.”

            “I know.”

            “What are you going to do?”

            “We, my friend, are going to find out who it is, then we are going to track it and then I am going to send it back to hell in a handbag.”

            “What’s this we shit?”  He waved his hands around.  “I just came over for a drink and your remarkable company.”

            I ignored his last statement.  Dan could be an asshole with an attention span of a first grader, but when it came down to it, he’d help me.

            “What about Frank?  Maybe he can help you?”

            I shook my head.  “I’m leaving my dad out of this.  It’ll only upset him.”