v.

"Orange," she said, "is a color I associate with autumn." He heard her shift on the blanket, pictured her crossing her legs, leaning back and using her arms to prop herself up. He rested his elbows on his legs, leaning forward, concentrating.

"Orange is crisp leaves on the path and the crunch sound your feet make when you walk on them. Orange is the scent of smoke in the air from people making fires to burn the leaves. It's the taste of pumpkin pie, turkey, and mashed potatoes from Thanksgiving Dinner."

He heard her shuffle once more. "Are you laying down?" he asked her.

"Yes," she said. He allowed himself to lean back, laying down next to her and looking toward what must be the sky. 

"But, like the other colors, Orange can give off other moods too. It's also the bright citrus taste of an orange, and it's the way a peach or a nectarine tastes."

"I think I like orange," he said, eventually, after a few moments of silence. "I like this time of year the best. If orange is this time of year, I think it's my favorite so far."

He could hear the smile in her voice this time as she went on. "Orange is also the sunset and the sunrise, and the warm feeling you get when you think about a fresh start or a day's work well done."

He smiled, picturing orange.