Chapter Twenty Two

Stephen quietly paced the kitchen, anger bubbling up inside of him. He growled angrily. After all this time, his father decided to come crawling back to him?! Did his father honestly think he was going to help him? It was ridiculous! Just because he had apologized, didn't mean everything was alright now. Stephen still couldn't trust his father. He didn't want to trust his father.

"Stephen?" Ginny asked meekly stepping into the kitchen with Romeo snuggled in her arms.

"What?" He snapped.

She flinched slightly at his tone, but she kept her ground, "You said yourself it was his decision on how this relationship went. Why are you pushing him away?"

"I didn't mean for him to come here and beg for my money!" He clenched his fist tightly.

"He's your father! You have to help him." She insisted.

"I don't have to help anyone." He growled, glaring at her.

"But..."

"You don't understand him, okay?! He would only come here if..." Stephen ran his fingers through his hair. He shook his head.

"If what?" She said quietly, gently placing the cat on the floor. She came over and wrapped her arms around him. He stiffened slightly. "You can tell me anything."

Stephen gently took her arms and unwound them from himself. He set some distance between them, trying to ignore the look of hurt in her eyes. He locked his eyes on her, "Some things...some things need to be kept a secret."

Ginny opened her mouth to say something, but she thought better of it and closed it again. Stephen lift his hand and caressed her cheek before leaving the room.

〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰

Ginny looked after Stephen, feeling conflicted. Whenever something went wrong, he always pushed her away. She just wanted to understand him. Why were him and his father on such bad terms? She shook her head and bent down to pet Romeo. He purred as she scratched his ears. She giggled.

"You like that, don't you?" She asked him, running her fingers over his fur.

"That's a pretty cat. Did Stephen get him for you?" Stephen's father asked from the doorway.

"He helped me save him from the streets." She explained. She tilted her head and smiled at that. "Kind of like how he helped me. Romeo and I are similar in that way."

The Duke bent down, reaching his hand out to the cat who hissed at him. The old man chuckled, "I see he doesn't take to me very well."

"He will get used to you in time."

"I'm not sure Stephen wants me here that long."

"I don't see why not."

"Stephen's a good boy but...we haven't been on good terms in a long time." He explained, standing up to brush his trousers clear of cat hair.

Ginny joined him at the kitchen door, "I don't understand."

He studied her for a long time, "No, and I don't think you will for now. Stephen will tell you, in his own time."

Ginny nodded, feeling disappointed that even Stephen's father wouldn't give her any information. She sighed and left the kitchen behind to go occupy her mind elsewhere. She so desperately wanted to know what was bothering Stephen, but she didn't think it wise to go and speak with him while he was in a bad mood. For now, reading a book would have to do. She was just getting settled down when a knock sounded on the door. She made a move to get up but Alfred beat her to it and opened the door. She came around the corner as Alfred stepped aside.

"Lady Emily is here to see you, my lady." The butler announced.

Ginny stood frozen on the spot, looking at the woman standing before her. She looked exactly the same as when she had last seen her. Lady Emily smirked, "Surprised to see me so soon, Ginny? My father bailed me out of jail a month ago. And now I've come to speak with Stephen."

"I don't want you here." Ginny said, her voice shaking.

Lady Emily shoved past her, "I'm sure Stephen would love to see me."

Ginny grabbed her arm, stopping her. "Get. Out."

"Ginny? Alfred? Who's at the door?" She heard Stephen call out from upstairs.

The two women glanced at each other, daring the other one to speak. Ginny finally gave in, sighing. She releasedi Lady Emily's arm, "It's Lady Emily."

She heard Stephen's footsteps hesitate on the stairs. He proceeded the rest of the way quickly, looking slightly alarmed. He nodded to Alfred, "Thank you Alfred. You may go."

"Of course, my lord." Alfred said stiffly, leaving them be.

Stephen glanced at Ginny to make sure she was unharmed. He then turned his dark eyes on Lady Emily. "What are you doing here?!" He snapped.

"I came to visit you, sweetheart!" She swatted his arm playfully.

Stephen grabbed her arm and led her towards the door. He shoved her outside, pointing his finger in her face. "You cannot kidnap my wife, almost kill her, and then think it is alright to come here!"

"But Stephen, I'm sorry about-"she started to pout.

"I want you off of this doorstep or I am calling for the police." Stephen said angrily, slamming the door shut in her face.

He sighed, closing his eyes as he leaned against the door. His father stepped into the hallway, "Is everything alright? Who was that?"

Stephen stopped him before he could look out of the window, "Nobody of your concern."

His father still caught a glimpse of the woman outside, his eyes growing wide, "Emily?! Well, let her in!"

"No." Stephen crossed his arms, blocking the doorway.

"You are going to leave a pleasing young lady like herself to stand out in the cold?" His father asked in surprise.

"It is my house. I can let whoever I want inside." Stephen growled.

His father turned to Ginny. "Can you tell your husband he is being unreasonable? He only listens to you."

Ginny was shocked he was trying to get her on his side. She shook her head, "I'm sorry, but I have to agree with Stephen on this one."

"My dear sweet Ginny, why?" He asked.

"You wouldn't understand." She echoed the words he had spoken to her earlier.

He narrowed his dark eyes, "Very well."

Ginny shared a look with Stephen before glancing outside. Lady Emily was still standing outside, haunting her like a ghost from her dreams.

Copyright © 2016 by Rosanna Parker

All Rights Reserved