Chapter 43: Life or death

Saira's P.O.V

It's been two weeks since aunt Yasuko's death and one week since the funeral. My family travelled immediately to Republic City to be by Mr. Sato's side. Hiroshi decided wisely that Asami should not attend the funeral because it would just traumatize her. She's been in school instead. The Agni Kai Triad got jailed. The reason why they attacked the Sato Family was because of their wealth. It was a robbery and aunt Yasuko was the victim because they robbed the golden necklace around her neck, worth millions, and her wedding ring.
Hiroshi Sato got more depressed every day and every night he was screaming his wife's name, causing Asami to sleep with me.
Iroh kept Hiroshi distanced from Asami to prevent break downs. So it was my task to care for Asami while Iroh cared for Hiroshi.
Every day, the little girl asked me, when her mother would return and every day I would answer her that she would come back soon. And it hurt me to tell her lies every day.

I was back at home since I had to get back to work. Little Asami was playing in the bedroom while I changed in the bathroom.
Suddenly I heard a knock on the door and I knew it wasn't Iroh because he had a key to my home.
I walked down and asked Asami to stay upstairs.
As I opened the door, the postman was standing in front of me.

"Good morning, Miss. Would you please sign here?"

"What for?"

"There is a letter for you, Ma'am and I only can hand it to you when I get a signature."

I nodded and did what he asked me to do. Then the postman left and I was curious what it would be.
The letter was from the United Forces, I could tell that because of the logo on the envelope.
I let the letter fall, not believing what I was asked by them to do. Of course he did a mistake...but why did I have to do it?
Behind me, the door opened and Iroh stepped in. He noticed immediately that something was wrong and wrapped his strong arms around me.

"What happened?"

I sank to the floor and picked up the letter and handed it to him. Shock was written on his face.

"That's impossible."

"That's what I thought too."

"You're not a part of the United Forces anymore. How can they ask you to do that?"

I shook my head and felt Iroh's arms wrap around me. Then Asami walked down and reminded me that I had to bring her to school. I was so shocked that I have completely forgotten Asami.

"It's okay. I will drive her to school. Just visit him."

"Thank you.", I gave Iroh a kiss on his cheek, since Asami was present and then I gave my attention to the little girl,"Iroh will bring you to school today, okay little princess?"

She nodded and pulled me down for a hug. We left the house and parted ways.
I headed towards to the United Forces with a racing heart.
Fortunately Haku was present there and I explained him the whole situation. He was as shocked as Iroh and I were. My partner's best friend lead me to Chan.

"So Iroh's bitch honours me with a visit. What do you want?"

"You know about it?"

"About what? That you have to execute me? Yes I do. I'm not dumb. I bet you're happy that you can kill me."

"I don't want to execute you. And I won't let anyone else do that."

Chan finally looked at me. I heard he became insane in jail but he didn't look like that. He looked completely civilized, calm.

"I nearly got you killed why would you help me?"

"That's what I asked myself too. Why should I help the man who betrayed the United Forces and stabbed me from behind like a coward. But then several other questions rushed through my mind."

"And those were?"

"Am I really that monster that's going to take revenge? Am I really that monster who'll kill you because you killed several other people?"

"You could be. You should be."

"But I'm not. Who am I to decide over your life? Who am I to end your life? Murdering you is not my responsibility even though I got the permission of the United Forces. No human being has the right to end an other person's life. So don't I."

Chan started laughing hysterically.

"You should just listen to yourself. That's what makes us humans so powerful! We are able to do whatever we want. We can make decisions, while animals can't. We can think, while they can't. That's how Fire Lord Ozai became the head of state. Because his father was murdered. And how do you think Ozai became that powerful?

"You are right, Chan. But you have forgotten that not the one who takes revenge and has blood sticked on their hands are powerful, but those who know how to handle people with their minds and forgiveness."

"I have a question."

"Go ahead."

"Did you forgive me?"

That was a good question. Did I forgive him? There was only one answer to this question.

"No."

He chuckled.

"Even you are not that good hearted enough to forgive me."

"I never said that I was."

He chuckled again.

"It's a pity that you are on the wrong side."

"Pardon?"

"I'm talking about your little mind games. You're pretty good at manipulating. If you were on our side, you would have got fame, glory and power."

"I don't need any of them. I don't believe in the view you are fighting for."

"That's a pity. By the way, I liked your little speech about racism."

I looked at him curiously, knowing that he wanted to tell me something with this sentence.

"May I know why?"

"Because it inspired me. I hope you liked the present my boys have made for Iroh and you."

My eyes widened. I immediately knew what he was talking about. But I wanted to make sure that I was right.

"Tell me."

"Three words: The Sato Family."