Chapter 2

"Really?" Crispin muttered, glaring at the little sign on the shop door. "Who the fuck has twenty minutes to stand around with nothing better to do? Back in twenty indeed!" What year is this? Who closes a shop door for coffee breaks anymore?

He should have returned the blasted bracelet ages ago. In fact, he had come back here shortly after Christmas but seeing the same girl behind the counter, he had lost his nerve. That same girl had basically ganged up on him with Becky and filled his head with all sorts of ridiculous romantic notions that he had no business thinking about.

Since then, he had come to his senses, thank God. He had simply been too preoccupied to return it before now. Besides, downtown Kingston wasn't exactly on his list of favourite places to hang out. All he wanted now, was to return the bracelet and get his money back. Having the silly little trinket in his coat pocket only served to remind him of what an idiot he'd been that day.

Every now and then he would find it in his pocket to then scoff at the very sight of it. Such a miserable delicate bauble. As if Gracie would like such a thing. His ex-girlfriend would have only laughed in his face, and rightly so. Gracie was as far from delicate as a woman could be. Besides, there was absolutely nothing Goth about it. In fact, it was just about the girliest bracelet he had ever seen.

Looking around, he spotted a café next door and decided to go in. God forbid someone see him lurking in front of a jewellery shop like a pathetic love-struck fool. Perhaps a good strong cup of coffee was exactly what he needed. He may as well take the time to formulate a plan, too. He needed to think of something very quickly.

Crispin was truly at a loss. He was running out of time and patience. He knew what he needed to do, but he didn't have a clue as to how to go about it. He'd tossed and turned all night thinking. Where could he go? He could just drive off to Toronto but that would only bring back memories of his recent trip with his housemates. He needed something different, a place he'd never been. A place that held no emotional ties for him to dwell on.

Spring break was only a week away and there was no way in hell he would survive hanging around the House of Goths while his lusty housemates, Kell and Becky, had their way with each other. No doubt, Dorian and his girlfriend, Heather, would be just as unbearable to be around. Being witness to all that domestic bliss would surely kill him.

As it was, he had become way too attached to Becky and his bandmates already. As much as he loved them all, yes, even Keegan, in order to survive, he would have to distance himself. Being around them only made him weak and vulnerable to the inevitable. Surely, one day, he would be asked to vacate the premises for good. As much as Becky reassured him otherwise, he knew better. Once again, he would find himself on his own. It was his destiny to be alone. There was no point in pretending otherwise.

As it was, more and more, he'd been looking for reasons to leave the house. He didn't need to be reminded of his reality as the pathetic eternal bachelor. With that unpleasant thought in his head, Crispin entered the café with a scowl on his face and made his way directly to the counter.

Realizing his abrupt arrival had caused everyone to look his way, he paused. Good lord, look at them gawking. It shouldn't surprise him since he often drew attention to himself given his appearance. Of course, sometimes it was for being recognized as the singer for his band, the Kingston Quartet. That, he didn't mind so much. He quite enjoyed running into the odd fan. Perhaps that is why they were looking. More likely, though, it was because of his glorious Gothness. Well, fuck them, let them stare. Let them eat their mundane hearts out.

With an air of contempt, he glared around at the faces in the small café. It was at that moment his eyes locked upon the very reason for his coming down here. Staring back at him, sat the girl from the jewellery shop. The clerk who had beguiled him to buy the silly little bracelet in the first place. How opportune a situation. He would just have to tell her that he had changed his mind and wanted his money back. If she gave him an issue, he would simply claim that she had pressured him into buying the damn thing.