The Doctor

I dozed off as I slumped myself into the grand white bed I was given...

I was woken up by something kicking the bed. I sat up and looked around. No one was there except for the cool wind blowing through the slightly cracked window next to me. I laid back down and shut my eyes.

"Wake up Miss Whitmore," a voice called. My eyes darted open to see a man clad in an all white doctor's uniform at my side. I jumped out of the opposite side of the bed and leaned against the wall.

"Who are you? What do you want?" I yelled offensively.

"Easy, easy, child. We don't want much, just for you to do one thing," he said in a calm tone. I recognized that infuriating calm voice. I've heard it before. I didn't recognize his face, but his soothing tone made something click in my head.

"And what is that?" I mumbled hesitantly.

"We want you to kill this man," the doctor explained, holding a hand out and pointing to a chair on the opposite side of the room.

"Who is that?" I stuttered, walking closer to the man in the chair. He had a black cloth over his head, whoever he was.

"Someone who has been on this planet far too long, Miss Whitmore," he snarled before ripping off the cloth.

It was Steve.

He was tied to the chair and his face was terrified. If it was humanly possible for his eyes to pop out of his head, he looked like they would.

"Darby, don't listen to them, they-" Steve pleaded before the doctor slapped his across his face.

"Stop! What are you doing?!" I yelled.

"Kill him now." he ordered back, glaring into my eyes.

"I won't! I can't kill him!"

"Yes you will. Stop his heart. I know you can. Now."

"No!" I resisted. I tried to back up from the doctor, but every step seemed to bring me closer to him instead.

I reached my hand out to unhinge Steve from the chair, but something happened when I touched him. His throat seemed to choke up and he started the thrash wildly in his chair. His hands opened wide and his head bobbed forward and back until he abruptly came to a halt. He took one heavy breath and stared up at me. With one last huff he sighed.

"Why?" he whispered before he turned limp and slouched back in the seat he was strapped to.

I buckled and fell to the ground, eyes watering. It was no use to shaking Steve, trying to get him to wake up. He was dead.

"Well done. Now get rid of her," the short man snapped and two giant men ran towards me.

"No! No! Leave me alone!" I held my hand out but I was suddenly powerless, writhing on the floor like a fish out of water.

The one to my left pushed me down as the other one kicked me in my side. My chest was pounding and my head was throbbing. They wouldn't stop. Tears were streaming down my face as I tried to call out for help. They gagged me with a cloth and continued to beat me before I could get anymore words out.

"Her mind is too strong for that, boys. You know what to do," the doctor asserted.

My heart was beating and beating, so hard and fast it was going to explode. My side felt like it was bleeding out and I knew I was surely going to die one way or the other.

The wide man to my right pulled out a gun and held it out in front of my face. The doctor let out a small chuckle and then as quickly as it came, the smile went away and he deadpanned to the giant man in front of me.

"Kill her."