The Dream

The gun fired and I shot up.

I screamed involuntarily and heaved breaths in and out of my tight chest as I gripped the sheets. I tried to open my eyes but they were so swollen from crying that I barely could. My face was hot and wet from the tears than ran down my cheek and down my jawline. My head was going to pop and my brain was going to hit the ceiling for sure.

The picture frames that were hung up in my room had fallen to the floor. The vase that was beside my bed had shattered and was sprawled across the floor in bits. The elongated mirror to my left had an enormous crack across the top.

What did I do?

Footsteps ran towards my room and I let out a shriek. I held my hands out and the body stopped in its tracks. I focused and held the intruder behind the door. I couldn't see who it was until I rose out of bed and walked past the door.

"Bucky," I whispered, letting my hands drop. He fell forward and landed hard on the ground in front of me.

My legs crumbled under me and I cried into my hands as I sat on the floor.

"Darby!" Bucky yelled and crawled towards me. He attempted to wrap himself around me but I forced him off.

"No! Don't touch me!" I hollered through my hands. It was hard to tell what I was saying aside from my hard breathing and uncontrollable sobbing.

"Darby, listen to me. You are okay," he reassured, trying to place a hand on my lap.

"No," I shrugged him off once more. I regained a breath and uncovered my face, "I don't want to hurt you."

"You won't hurt me Darby, I know you won't-"

"Well I don't! I don't know anymore! I killed him. I killed him. I touched him, and, and he died!" I sobbed.

"Killed who?" he asked sternly, "Killed who, Darby?"

"Steve. He's dead. Because of me."

"No Darby. Steve is fine. You had a nightmare, yes?" he tried to say in a calming tone.

I turned back and looked into my room.

It was empty.

No Doctor. No scary men. No Steve.

I faced back towards Bucky and looked into his eyes.

'What did Hydra do to this poor girl?'

I paused and tried to regain my breath. I nodded and wiped my face.

"What did you-"

"Did I hurt you?" I interrupted. "When I stopped you, did it hurt?"

"What? Darby, what are you talk-"

"Did I hurt you Bucky?" I pushed.

He paused and just stared at me. He was thinking, but the silence was infuriating.

"No. You didn't hurt me," he whispered. "Let's get you up-"

I shook my head at him, pausing him mid sentence.

He huffed and nodded. "Okay. But don't sit here too long," he spoke softly, rising off of the floor and out of the hallway.

"Don't," I mumbled.

He froze and turned towards me. His eyebrows furrowed.

"Don't leave me. Please," I mumbled again, trying to swallow the lump in my throat.

He tiptoed and sat down beside me, resting his head against the wall. He moved his hand and placed it only next to mine, knowing I would move away if he touched me.

I wanted him to touch me though. I really did. I thrived on physical interactions. A touch of a hand, a rub on the shoulder. A hug. A kiss. It killed me not lay my head in his lap and sleep away the pain. He could stroke my hair and calm me down, it would be perfect.

It didn't dawn on me until now.

I needed a friend too.

But as much as it pained me to want that, I couldn't let myself hurt him. I don't even know what would happen if I did. Would his heart stop like Steve's? Would he melt like a candle, waxy skin dripping down his face like in a horror movie? Would he explode in one moment, blood splattering against wall?

I didn't want to take the chance to find out.

He sighed deeply and waited for my reaction of his carefully thought out move.

'I will never leave you Darby.'

My eyes felt heavy and I wanted to cry more, if that was even possible. I heard his thought and didn't have enough strength to reply out loud.

'Thank you.'

Heyyy so how did you guys like the cliffhanger from the last chapter? It wasn't a huge cliffhanger but I tried lol Let me know if you liked the chapter and comment please!!