Violin (xMedic)

+Author's note

Requested by Inesalexandra1995!

Why does he not marry?

It was a question that often recurred among many of his guests and neighbors, and to you as well.

He was a strapping gentleman. With a handsome face, a medical licence and a wage that was more than decent.

The thought of marriage had apparently never crossed his mind, or rather, ignored. For many of his friends have inquired of the subject, only to have it waved away from the doctor.

Dr. Jospeh Heilburger had tended to his daily chores for more years than he cared to remember. But it soon grew evident that he found the work tedious, especially when it came to long hours at day as a doctor, and even longer hours at night handling chores.

And for the doctor to take care of the house so large on his own, was a question. Fortunately, it was a question with a very simple answer.

The answer?

That was where you came along.

As the maid of the stern German doctor, you were assigned to most of the housework chores, also including meals and other nessessities. Such as tending to his guests, and the occassional deliveries he sent you off on.

It didn't take long for you to realize how strict the German was. His schedule was almost clockwork; and you quickly learned to work according to it.

Meals were done seperately, and there was hardly ever reason for the doctor to call for you. You handled the housework, watered the plants and had already memorized his habits, placing the cup of tea at his desk at 8 in the evening every day.

As a result, there was no need for conversation. You never needed to open your mouth, save perhaps for yawning or sneezing.

And with the doctor keeping to himself most of the time..

Well..

You were quite sure you would have forgotten to speak were it not for the milkman and the packages that were seldom delivered to the house.

It was the same each day. The doctor would have breakfast, read in his study then take himself over to his clinic, come back for some supper, read in his study and soon ready himself for slumber.

For you, it was house work. Make food, clean here, clean there until it was time for you to sleep.

+++

One morning, a knock on the door caught your attention. Ruffling your laced maid dress, and straightening the laced head band on your head, you headed out and answered the door.

A long package was carefully held by a man.

"Dr. Heilburger Wohnsitz?"
(Dr. Heilbuger residence?)

"Ja"

You signed a slip of paper, and the delivery man gave a tip of his hat and left.

Turning back inside the house, you walked upstairs into the doctor's study.

'Probably some medical equipment'

+++

It was one evening, after you had washed the dishes, you looked up from the sink to the grandfather clock, and saw that it was 7:52.