s i x t e e n

|Sixteen|

|Sixteen|

Three distinctive things I noticed when I awoke hours later in an unknown destination. One - it was dark. Two - I was freezing. Three - I most certainly was not alone.

I could feel somebody watching me through the misleading shadows. I felt unsafe, vulnerable yet I couldn't run. My legs looked sore and bruised. My arms carried a significant amount of cuts and bruises too.

If somebody saw me now, they would tell me I looked like I had been through hell and back.

How ironic.

I tried to pull myself up into a comfortable position except I couldn't. My bones felt weary and weak. It was like I switched to low power mode - running on just the amount of energy to prevent me from dying.

Even the air I was breathing felt rough and destructive in my lungs. Each time I inhaled, I felt as if I had swallowed sandpaper and when I breathed out - it was like someone was taking a blunt needle to my organ.

Wet blood started to drip from my nose as I lifted my head up. It was thick and flowing heavily, running down my mouth and chin. I felt drained; mentally and physically. The blood slipped in my mouth through my parted lips and stayed there. Not moving, clogging my mouth of blood and slowly but surely, suffocating me.

I wanted to spit the blood out only I couldn't move without pain. My only option was to open my dry mouth further and let the blood run from my tongue and onto the floor.

The mind at dark times such as this was a dangerous place. You couldn't control the whispers and the snickers of your darkest thoughts.

My thought tormented me. If only you didn't visit Lucifer - you wouldn't be stuck down here. If only the Fates didn't give me this destiny, I wouldn't have met Lucifer. If only the Fates hadn't sent Afriel to Earth - I wouldn't have lost my memory. If only I hadn't lost my memory, I would have had a different destiny. 

Afriel. Did it all start with her? Was she the reason I was stuck down here, unable to move? Raphael hadn't taken me inside the Dome, I never would have had to work for the Fates.

Yes. The voice inside my head said.

This time the demons had won. Anger swept through me like a tidal wave. It was all Afriel's fault. She was the soul to blame.

"You look like death," Lucifer broke the silence, appearing from the shadows.

I didn't move and attempt to speak. "I feel like death." I croaked out, my voice sounding broken and scarred.