Chapter Twenty-Five

Melissa waited nervously just behind Sergeant Mitchell, less than thrilled to be at her grandmother's door. She couldn't help wishing that she was somewhere else. It was not that she didn't want to see her grandmother, she was always happy to see her, it was the reason they were there that she had a problem with.

"Hello, Lewis, Melissa, to what do I owe the pleasure of this visit?" Constance Hawkins asked when she saw who was on her doorstep.

"Hello, Constance, sorry to disturb you on a Sunday," Mitchell said. "But we need to ask you some questions, I hope that's alright."

Constance smiled. "Of course it is, I'm always happy to have visitors, no matter what the reason. You've timed your visit quite well; I've just put the kettle on for a cup of tea, would either of you like one?"

Mitchell and Melissa nodded in unison.

"I didn't see you in church this morning, Melissa," Constance said disapprovingly to her granddaughter as she let the two officers in and then shut the door behind them.

Melissa flushed. "I was busy, nan, I had to work," she said, not happy with how much like an excuse it sounded. "I'll go as soon as I have I have a chance." Thankfully, nothing more was said about her absence from church, instead her grandmother left the two of them to get comfortable in the living room while she went to make them all some tea.

Constance returned after about five minutes, bearing a tray she gratefully surrendered when Melissa leaped to her feet to take it from her. Nothing was said by any of them while the tea was being poured; only when the three of them were settled did any of them speak.

"So, how can I help you, Lewis?" Constance asked of the sergeant between sips of tea. "You said you have some questions you want to ask me."

"That's right, Constance. I want to ask you about Friday afternoon; I know I spoke to you yesterday about it, but I need to confirm a few things," Mitchell said, putting his cup back on its saucer and then setting it down on the coffee table. "I hope that's okay." When Constance nodded, he got down to business. "Can you remember what time it was when you saw Lucy Goulding leave Mr Wild's place on Friday afternoon?"

Constance made a sincere effort to remember, but was forced to shake her head. "I'm sorry, I know it was sometime between three o'clock and half past, but I can't be any more exact than that."

"That's okay, Mr Wild wasn't able to give us an exact time either," Mitchell said. "Can you tell us what happened after you saw Lucy leave Mr Wild's?" He saw the unhappy look on Constance's face and anticipated what she was going to say. "Mr Wild has said he didn't leave the house after Lucy left, and his lawyer has suggested that because of your age, you might have been mistaken about what you saw; that's why I had to let him go. I need to make absolutely certain of what you saw, so I can add it to whatever other evidence we're able to find, and make an airtight case against him."

"His lawyer doesn't know you like we do, gran," Melissa said, almost choking on a large mouthful of fruitcake as she tried to swallow it quickly so she could speak. "She thinks because you're a bit older, you must have problems with your eyes. Even if you did, it's not like you can't recognise an Aston Martin when you see one; you might not be able to say what model it is, but when it's been parked next door for months you know it when it goes past."

Constance nodded, but then said, "It wasn't that fancy car of Mr Wild's I saw on Friday, though."

"I beg your pardon." Mitchell felt his heart sink. "So it wasn't that fancy thing of Mr Wild's you saw. You are certain it was Mr Wild you saw driving down the road after Lucy, though, aren't you?" He couldn't help it, he found he was holding his breath while he waited for the answer from Melissa's grandmother, and when it came his heart dropped even lower, sinking into the pit of his stomach.