One

~Eliana~

"I can't believe they're making me do this," I huffed, sitting down on my bed, "I mean, I should have the right to choose who I am married to."

"M'lady, unfortunately it isn't how things are run in kingdoms like these. Princesses never have a say in marriages, you know that," Clary, my best friend and lady in waiting said. I groaned and moved to help her pack my luggage.

"It's so unfair, I've done everything they've desired throughout my life and now they won't even let me make this decision. I mean, I understand that it's been set since my childhood, but things change!" I grumbled, putting one of my nightgowns into a trunk on my bed.

"It's just how it is, El," she sighed, "and who knows, you might even end up liking this prince." I snorted as I sat down on the bed.

"Please," I scoffed, "there isn't a single boy in this kingdom that has managed to capture my attention up until now...how should he be any different?"

"Because this is Prince Harry Styles? He's been raised in royalty so he's obviously going to be kind to some extent," Clary reasoned.

I sighed and lied down on my bed, travelling into my own world of thoughts as Clary fussed about my bedroom. I, Eliana Grace Jefferson, was fixed to marry - at age eighteen, mind you - to a twenty year old man whom I have never seen nor met. The only piece of information I was given about this mysterious person was that his name was Harry Styles. That's it; not even a portrait of his face to show me what he looks like. This whole marriage was a plan to expand my father's kingdom anyways, and combine dominion or something like that.

"I bet you, he's a complete loon." I scoffed. Clary laughed.

"Don't hate him. For all you know, the poor man could be completely nervous to meet you," Clary said. I rolled my eyes.

"I can hate him and I will," I pouted like a child; I knew this was highly immature of me but I couldn't help it! Because of this marriage I would have to leave the only place I knew as home.

"All I'm saying is to just give him a chance," Clary suggests. I sigh.

"Fine," I muttered, "but I need you with me. Can't you come with me?"

"Your mother has told you that you'll be getting new ladies at the new palace," she sighed, finishing the last of my clothes, "so I doubt I'll be much use."

I scoffed and lightly smacked her arm, "you're my best friend. I need you there."

She shrugged, "ask the Queen."

I remained in my position, staring up at the ceiling. It was a comfortable silence between us until I jolted up and ran for the door. I raced down the hall, not bothering to explain to Clary my reason for my sudden departure, and I ran down the tiled floors. I tried to be careful so as to not bump into anything or trip in my heels. I found my parents chamber with ease and barged in, armed with a fully prepared debate on why I should be permitted to have Clary come with me, only to be greeted by Bruno. He glanced up at the door and smiled warmly when he noticed me.

"Bruno!" I cheered, running over to him. I embraced him tightly. He was a fairly old man, only about forty-five years of age, however, his smile never made him seem any older as opposed to younger. He had dark brown hair, with a couple of white strands. He was always like a second father to me and I cherished his presence in the palace immensely. In fact, all of our servants were treated like family. This was after my mother married my father mind you, as she didn't understand the purpose of having people do things that you were completely capable of. Truth be told, I didn't see any reason to it either.