128 And they ...

The next day, Yuna was with Haruka Narusegawa, Kenji Tanaka and Shinji Shiba in his office. The Oni had invited her to a meeting. To the girl it felt more like an abduction.

"Her statements are all true," the undertaker confirmed.

"So you really killed Tirr," marveled the leader of the Oni.

"Yes. He won't trouble you anymore."

"I could have done it. I almost had him," Kenji interjected.

"Well ... she was faster than you." The fire devil pouted.

Uncomfortably, the blue-haired slipped around on her chair. "I'm sorry that I've killed Yoshiro. And also, that I murdered Daiki."

"For Yoshiro, we can't blame you. It was the best choice. His power has made you strong enough to resist Tirr." Haruka leaned back in Shiba-san's chair.

"Yeah ... anyway."

"What are we going to do next?" Kenji wanted to know.

"We continue to live our boring lives. Without Tirr, there's no longer a threat to us." The red-scaled Oni wore his shark-grin.

Thoughtfully, Haruka closed her eyes. "I wouldn't be too sure. When word get's out that both Yoshiro and Tirr are gone, the hunters may start to attack us again."

"Then we'll fight them back, like the last time," Kenji said quickly.

"Furthermore, the beasts will continue to enter our world. We must keep our existence a secret."

Thoughtfully, the mayoress looked at the girl who was sitting opposite of her. The blue-haired sat on her chair and stared at Haruka.

"I would appreciate it if you took over the work of your uncle, Yuna-chan," the Oni explained.

"What?"

The mayoress smiled at her kindly. "I want you to be our new sheriff."

"Hey! I'm Sheriff now," Kenji muttered.

Haruka gave him a quick glance. "You're not reliable enough. I need someone who knows what he's doing, or at least is allowed to make mistakes without dying of the consequences."

"That's a lovely compliment," the girl growled.

"What do you say?" Yuna stayed silent and looked at her feet.

The undertaker leaned forward. "She has alrea..."

"Shiba-san!" the girl hissed.

"Forgive me, Masuda-san."

The blue-haired shook her head. "I can't be your sheriff. I'll be back to school on Monday."

"Look at it as a part-time job. You're hunting in your spare time and we will pay you for it."

Yuna bit her lower lip. "Actually, I wanted to stop with the Onihunt. I want to be a normal girl."

"The offer will persist, in case you come to another conclusion. Until then Tanaka-kun will be our sheriff," Haruka decided without hesitation.

"Hell yeah!"

"We're done now?" the blue-haired asked.

The female Oni sighed. "Yes. Of course we will stay in touch. We'll have to work things out with Yoshiro's heritage."

The high-school girl blinked uncomprehendingly. "Why?"

"He had submitted adoption forms for you and your sister."