Wattpad Original

Original Edition: 09 | Ruin

THE DOORBELL RINGS soon after the school day ends

Audrey left for work about an hour ago, and Sofia will be back soon. I'm home alone, once again, and because of this, I head downstairs, feeling a twist of unease in my stomach at the thought of someone being at the door, waiting for me. Much to my relief, the three people standing in the front entrance are none other than the remaining pack members of the wolf pack of Pender Falls. My shoulders relax slightly as I give them a half-hearted smile.

Zoe is the first one to speak. "How's our little jailbird doing?" she asks, placing a manicured hand on her hip.

I raise an eyebrow, leaning against the door frame. "The warden isn't home yet."

Dylan smiles, sticking his hands into his pockets. "So can we come in, or what?"

"Of course," I say, stepping out of the way to let them in, one by one.

They head straight for the family room, settling down on the couches as if they own the place. I head for the open spot beside Zoe, but Dylan pats the one beside him instead, so I give him a brief smile, sinking into it.

"Sucks you got busted," he says sympathetically. "I wonder who snitched."

My gaze jumps to James as I narrow my eyes. "Well, it could've been any of a hundred people, since someone has a bit of a loud mouth."

"Hey," he says, grinning, nothing seeming to faze the guy, "I'm not happy about this either. Neither of us got what we wanted. You wanted to not get a suspension and I wanted some weed."

Zoe rolls her eyes, crossing her legs. "You're such an idiot."

Dylan notices my bandaged hand right then, and his features pull into a frown of concern. He reaches over, picking it up from out of my lap delicately. "What happened?" he asks.

I laugh self-deprecatingly, tucking my hair behind my ear with my free hand. "Scout got a hold of me," I explain sheepishly. "I was just trying to have a nice chat with her, but she wasn't very into it."

James laughs from his place across the room. He's standing up now, fiddling with the decorations on top of the mantel, seeming restless. "I'm surprised you braved the beast. Scout hates our guts. It's a wonder she hasn't taken a chunk out of all of us already."

"Enough about the dog." Zoe shifts her gaze to me, blue and intense. "Since I know how much you hate surprises, I'll tell you now. I'm throwing you a party next week."

My eyebrows raise, and I have to refrain from groaning outwardly. "You are?"

She quirks an eyebrow. "Of course. We haven't welcomed you back properly."

"Are you sure a party is the best idea?" I ask, trying not to sound worried, but feeling incredibly so inside.

"Come on, Al," Dylan breaks in, reaching over to place a hand on my knee, giving it a shake. "You've always been our little party animal."