Chapter 16

TWO DAYS LATER, ESTHER was released from the hospital. She didn't go to school and stayed at home. She was sitting at the table munching on bread when I came in for breakfast, one morning. Her head was still bandaged heavily but she stopped taking sedatives.

"Esther, why did you run away from home?" I asked her. She looked surprised at my sudden question but looked as if she expected it.

"Because Jack was hurting me," she said, looking down at her sandwich. I knew she was lying.

"And your grandmother won't be worried?" I asked her.

"No. She never really cared for me. I bet she still doesn't realise that I ran away," She said slowly with an undistinguishable emotion in her eyes. She dropped the subject and never talked of it. For some reason, she had forgotten completely about the conversation I had with her in the hospital. It never failed to amaze me.

Jack came to visit her occasionally at home. This was done secretly at first until she was discovered by Scarlett. It resulted in a huge fight between the both of them and Esther almost packed her bags to leave. They made up soon and Esther promised Scarlett that she would never see Jack again.

However Jack still came to see her when Scarlett was not at home. I never complained or warned Esther about him. Because, one day when I saw Jack coming in with a bunch of red roses for Esther, I knew she had somehow changed the guy. He even apologised to me for his earlier behaviour and presented me with a similar bunch of red roses. It shocked me at first but I received them, doubtfully. Jack knew better and avoided contact with me all times. I couldn't help but think Oliver had a hand in this. I smiled at the thought.

*************

"So why do you want to meet Miss Monner?" A bored looking officer asked me blandly for the hundredth time. I was infuriated at being constantly questioned.

"I did explain to you, officer. Mr Monner wanted to send a message to Miss Monner. He suddenly got sick, so he send us here instead," I lied again. But the pot bellied officer didn't look like he got it. To our rescue, a lady officer made her way to us and I explained it to her.

"Alright. But we will have to phone Mr Monner and ascertain, before letting you in," she said. I nodded gratefully. Ezra and I waited for a few minutes in the office of the prison until the lady officer came up to us.

"So, Mr Monner has approved. We are letting you in. But before that, I have to warn you. Miss Monner is unstable right now. Make sure to speak to her with kindness," she advised as she led us through a narrow hallway. We stopped in a room that was barred by a netted metal screen in the middle. I assumed that it was the meeting room with the prisoners.

"Okay. I hope you know the prison visit allotment time," she asked, politely. Ezra and I gave her equally blank stares.

"Five minutes. You can talk to her for five minutes and that's it. Not a second more than that," She said sternly. I wondered how I would explain the whole story in that limited time. That means I have to cut down the chase and get to the point.

Another officer brought in Elizabeth with her hands bound in handcuffs. She stared threateningly at us. Her brown hair had been tied neatly at the nape of her neck. She had turned more gaunt than the pictures and her eyes had sunken in. She continued to stare at us.

"Miss Monner. I am Allison and that's Ezra I have come here to ask you certain things," I said professionally. Elizabeth turned her gaze away easily displaying her disinterest in interacting with us. I knew that she was mentally unstable but her behaviour was starting to get to me.